Generic Zyrtec is Not as Good

I just wanted to throw my two cents in about the generic Zyrtec. My husband does real well on Zyrtec, the allergy medicine. Well we tried to save a little money and bought the Walmart brand equate, there are some differences in the ingredients but we didn't think a lot. NO! Please watch the labels, even small difference can make a BIG change. I was able to contact Zyrtec and I will be getting coupons, so we went back to Zyrtec.

By Jamish from Leoti

Kroger brand has the same ingerdients and is about $5 cheaper

We always use generic OTC medications, usually Wal-mart without having any problems. When I have any doubt about it, I always ask the pharmacist who is always helpful. But I do understand what you mean. Many years ago when our son had to take presciption asthma medication, he could not use the generic brand. He had terrible side effects. The pharmacist told me that while the main ingredients in the generic substitutes are the same, the "fillers" in the medication will sometimes effect people differently.

That's a great tip about contacting the company about coupons. Most companies will send you coupons. When we had dogs, I always contacted the company and they would send me dog food coupons upon request.

I have chronic hives and decided to get generic Zyrtec instead of the name brand. I had hives all over me and when I went back to the name brand the hives went away. I was surprised!

I tried Walgreens generic Zyrtec. Won't do that again. Just didn't help that much so back to Kroger's generic Claritin.

March 29, 2012 Flag

Lots of people will suffer from seasonal allergies this time of year. I save more than half on the purchase of my allergy medicines. I buy the generic, always! I purchase them at the Dollar General or at SAV-A-LOT. The outer label will say "Compare to Zyrtec" or "Compare to Claritin."

These meds are the same as the originals, just made at different locations. The ingredients are the same and they will work the same. The same is true for Tylenol (Acetaminophen), Advil (Ibuprofen) or Aleve (Naproxen). Dont buy the brand names, you are throwing your money away.

I am a retired nurse. I always buy the generic brands and have saved thousands of dollars doing so.

Generic and Name Brand Tomato Sauce
Choosing Between Generic and Name Brand
Health & Beauty Prescription DrugsJune 9, 2008
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags, Coins in Zip-Lock Bag
Saving Money On Ziptop Bags
Buying Generic Capstar Flea Medication
boy looking over the edge of an aboveground pool
Household Chemicals for Pool Maintenance
Dog With Allergies
Using Zyrtec For a Dog With Allergies