Getting Rid of Garter Snakes

Do moth balls or Clorox help keep garter snakes away from the house and yard?

By Cindy from Omaha, NE

I am very very afraid of snakes regardless of what kind and I have a beautiful flowerbed surrounding my home. I used to have many garter snakes hiding in my plants, mating, etc. I put moth balls down in early spring and no more snakes the rest of the summer. It does work.

What's so bad about garter snakes? They're not dangerous.

If you want to get rid of garter snakes, get rid of what attracts them such as mice and other pests. Without the snakes you will have more pests in your yard and possibly your house.

While Garter Snakes are completely harmless and I personally wouldn't worry about them, snakes dislike cedar. If you mulch your garden with cedar chips, it will repel snakes.

Moth balls have very dangerous chemicals in them. Please don't use them. They eventually break down into the ground and contaminate it. Garter snakes will do you a lot more favors than moth balls!

We lived in an old farmhouse with a poor foundation. Had garter snakes in my clothes hamper, my laundry room. Later when we added a basement room found them there,too. Nothing scared me more than finding a baby snake in my washer(still alive)flashing his little forked tongue at me while sitting on top of the clean clothes. Problem was solved only by sealing up the foundation tight. We had found out a huge garter snake was having her young under our house. She must have been a 5-6 feet long. Access was by holes in the old foundation. New foundation fixed the problem. I have had a snake phobia all my life so understand your fears.

Yes I have a snake phobia too, I move into a house that had quit a few snake dens. If I would of known I would not have bought it. It took six months to get ride of some 300 of the little buggers. Here is what you need to know.

It's a waste of time to catch and release. They know where you live and will come back.

You have a great environment they that's why they like/love your place. So make it un friendly. Cut the grass, get ride of wood piles and compost on the ground piles, or rock piles. Make sure you stack every thing off the ground. No rock walls or wood decks. No cracks or wholes around the house, garage. Go to hardware store and get a bucket of premix cement filler or calk. Fill in everything. Mine were coming in where the cable guy didn't seal the hole for the wire. If you have vents around your house replace bent or damage, I took mine off, added screen door mesh to the inside with a calk gun the put it back on and sealed the edges. This was to stop crickets and small things getting under besides a cool and warm place that is desirable. Get rid of their food source and there habitat, that's a good start.

Pheromones, they leave an invisible trail to your house and entryways. So if you don't get rid of this more will come it's a road sign for them. You must wash patios, garages, sidewalk with bleach. Be carful it will kill flowers and grass. I just clean out a small greenhouse I have it took two gallons, just pour and use a stiff brush. Also I bought a large pump sprayer filled it with bleach and went around the house and garage and spray the ground and three ft up the walls, I have a stucco house so it worked well. I also raked the dirt and sprayed that to. Yes I killed 300, if you are up for it, use tree lopers and have a garbage bag ready, I have three kinds of loppers the best was the extended ones, go fast and aim at the back of the head, I can't touch them or catch them. They move slow in the morning or when its cool.

I have a detach garage, I use a metal pie pan and fill it with car gas and place one by the corne of the inside door, used car oil in a low container works good too. They smell with their toungs so any thing chemical nasty works. I did the old rope strick but soaked it with gas and laid it along the inside garage door. Mothballs and products like that don't really work well, mice eat the mothballs. I did try crushing moth balls adding some water and mixing it with kitty litter and made my own repellent, the smell isn't all that strong so so worked. You don't want to put gas in your house or near furnaces or hot water heaters. I was very determine to get rid of these pest, one in the back yard is not a problem, 300 wanting to share my house and give birth is. They have lots of babies and have known predictor, ( except for me) I think they taste bad. Oh I did start putting some cat food out at night for feral cats, befriended one and he would go after them plus be my watch dog and protector while gardening. Cat food is cheap. I think snakes don't like the cat piss smell either.

So the rule, don't freak out get mad and go to war, you will win, if you make your place unliked they will go some where else. I still have dreams about them, but I know that they just represent fear in my life, so I work on that. You will win, it will take some time, and just make sure you clean up and be mindful of creating habitats for them. Btw, I had lots of snake, and I had lots of mice too, so heck with that theory.

Please repost this as much as possible, I really feel for these folks with no real solutions. Mine are well tested, I only get pone poking around a year to see if the coast is clear. So not 100% proof but I'm around 99% proof and sleep well at night and can walk around my house with out fear.

Thank you... Your solutions have been helpful. Think I identified a copperhead yesterday. Big one. Chlorox was on my mind and your other tips have been helpful too....

Appreciatively,

Yancey

It seems if you take them far away from your place that they couldn't and wouldn't find their way back!? We just recently had about 7 Garter snakes in my back yard until my cousin came over and caught at least 5/6 of them and took them at least 20+ mins from here and let them go in the woods!! I haven't seen any come back yet... if they do then they're pretty die hard for their home 

I am from the old school of thought that when you had garden (garter) snakes, you did not have mice. I personally prefer the snakes. I do not have either. Snakes love rock gardens, places in the heat yet can be cool. Flower beds made of rock will hold alot. Our other house had plenty until we removed the rock formations from the property, also then the mice moved it.

I came here to find some relief because when I opened my front door this morning to go get my mail, there was a happy go lucky garden snake about a foot away. I gave up the idea of getting my mail, and rushed back into the house terrorized. I started reading the comments here and found myself screaming at some of the disgusting stories of 4 or 10 snakes or snakes on a pile of laundry lol. Agggghhh, I would die! I found myself looking around my place in case one was hidden here too. I don't want them any harm but I hate them, they are disgusting to look at and scare the hell out of me not matter how hard I try to rationalize facts.

Just realized that if I'm too scared to get out of my house to go grocery shopping, I may lose the few pounds I've been struggling with for months. lol. Hum garden snakes may not be that bad after all. :-)

All jokes aside, I hope the one I saw this morning will vanish right away, it is the 3rd one I see in 2 years and I want to keep it that way. It's more than enough for me! Hate them, hate them, hate them.

I found 5 garter snakes in my bathroom yesterday. I'm not sure where they came in or how long they have been there, but how do I get rid of them and could you tell me why they are in my home and how they got into my house. Please and thanks, because me and my 2 sisters are terrified of snakes and bugs and my brother has to like kill everything for us but we didn't kill the snakes he thinks there cute. Anyways my sister got out of the shower and almost died cause there was a snakes on the floor. Then we found four more later that night, please, please help.

Anonymous

I returned all of the rocks I had used around my raised beds to the woods behind my property. What a job! Those rocks were a lot heavier than they were 10 years ago! I'm hoping the elimination of their habitat will discourage the snakes' from returning to my yard. I have no worries about mice and such. My cat will take care of that!

How to use mothballs & Cloris to keep snakes away in my yard?

I read that moth balls don't work on keeping snakes away