Make Light Curtains Darker

I have an old set of curtains that are quite nice and thick that I'd like to dye to a darker shade. Does anyone have any tips or words of caution before I begin?

Megan from Durham, NC

Megan, Are they curtains or drapes? If they are the thinner smaller curtain, they may dye alright, but I would think twice about dying drapes, as they are so large and made of stuff that might not take dye well. But I have bought cheap shower curtains to put on the back of drapes to keep the heat and cold out. You could do that with a very dark shower curtain, most of the time they can be found at the $ store. You will need 2, one for each panel. I smoothed the drapes faced down, on the floor and layed the shower curtain on top and lined them up at the header on top, then just wiped stiched the headers together, tucking it into the pleates some. Then I whip stich them down both sides but leave the bottom free. This will help to darken the room when the drapes are pulled, which is all that you might need. I do this to drapes I buy second hand that are in good shape, but are not insulated, it really helps to keep the heat out in the summer and the cold in the winter. I use clear shower curtains if we need more light in a dark room and darker ones in we need the room to be darker. Of course if you just want to change the color of the curtains, this won't help much. good luck

Wash well first!

If dyable, use double the amount of dye, but be aware that the dye might smudge the wall later on if it isn't totally rinsed out of the curtain.

Haven't you ever worn a dyed something or other, only to find that the dye came off on you?

I tried dyeing polyester curtains that I had gotten at Sears years ago. I washed them thoroughly first. The dye streaked and the curtains looked awful. I should have just left them the cream color and added ribbon banding to the hem and edges. It would have changed the look of the curtain and I probably would have been happy with that. Just my .02 cents...

I am wanting to do the same thing. I am curious to know if you tried it and how it turned out. What kind of dye did you use?