My Terrier Eats Plastic

Every once in a while my terrier will eat plastic bags and then vomit them back up, in pieces, of course. Does any one have a clue as to why he does this?

az2010 from Easthampton, MA

I once had a cat that did this, generally there had been some sort of food or meat that had been in the plastic. I am not quiet sure any other reason why, but when we were having problems with our neighbor's dogs tearing up our garbage, i started sprinkling hot sauce all over the bags, problem solved. hope this helps some

I know a pug who loves to eat tissue paper, but I would be much more concerned about a dog eating plastic! It's likely to get stuck and suffocate him. Please try to keep it away from him.

actually, my cat does this continuously ... i finally figured out that it is their way of settling an upset stomach ... my cat does not go outside so doesn't have access to grass to eat ... try taking the dog out more frequently and encourage him to eat grass!!

just as a point of info, these are clean bags (usually glad kitchen catchers or similiar) so not in contact with food stuffs

my yorkie,Oso, loves plastic! He has plenty of chew toys, bones, faux pig ears (healthy ones) and yet

the lil bugger found his water tupperware bowl so

tasty he chewed the entire rim off, he finds things and hides under bed to chew so sometimes he

is in his kennel when i find him chewing plastic i

tell him NO immediately pick him up and put him

in kennel with safe chew for his own good and I tell

him this as I am locking the lil weasel up ...he looks

at you with those innocent soulful eyes.

He once ate every cardboard roll from a 24 pack cottenelle as we slept and shredded each piece of

paper so it was unusable for anything!!! Took him to

the vet she said it was FIBER and he would poop it out and if he got constipated to take him in...he did

fine....ughhh.......mind you the Jack Russell,Cookie, did not get caught up in any of these escapades she is so good or too lazy to leave the snuggly bed with us.

Pets Dogs AdviceJanuary 18, 2007
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
Cleaning Plastic Cutting Boards
American Staffordshire Terrier
American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos
Welsh Terrier
Welsh Terrier Breed Information
Yorkshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos