American Staffordshire Terrier Breed Information and Photos

The American Staffordshire Terrier is a strong, intelligent dog that is very people oriented. It will thrive when made part of a family and given a job to do. This page contains American Staffordshire Terrier - breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The American Staffordshire Terrier is a stocky, well-built dog with a lot of strength, agility and grace for its smaller size. This breed is large-boned with a broad skull, short muzzle, powerful jaw and a muscular body and medium-long tapered tail.

Group: Terrier

Purpose of Breed: Originally bred for baiting bulls.

Country of Origin: United States

Average Size: 45-65 lbs and 16-19 inches tall

Color(s): Combinations of white, black, tan and liver.

Coat Type: The coat is short and sleek and stiff to the touch.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder. The coat should be brushed regularly and periodically rubbed down with a soft cloth to keep it looking its best. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: If given plenty of exercise, this breed is suitable for apartment living. This breed can become aggressive toward other dogs and should be kept on a leash when walked.

Temperament: When properly trained, this breed makes an excellent companion for children and adults, and an excellent guard dog. The American Staffordshire Terrier is loyal, and eager to please. It possesses an extraordinary amount of courage and is extremely protective of its owner. Because this breed was originally developed as a fighting dog, it can be aggressive towards other dogs. It can also be difficult to housebreak.

Common Ailments: Prone to hip dysplasia and hereditary cataracts.

Life Expectancy: Averages 10-12 years.

Trivia: This is the breed commonly referred to as Pit Bull. An American Staffordshire Terrier named Stubby was the most decorated dog of World War II, earning the rank of Sergeant.

More Information: Stafforshire Terrier Club of America

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

Tyson is a 5 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. Some women left him in a parking lot when he was very very young. I took him to the vet right away and had to bottle feed him for about 2 months! He is like my baby! He likes to play, sleep and loves to eat!

By Allison from New York, NY

American Staffordshire Terrier

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 8

Sebastian is a 4 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. On December 6, 2007 a friend of ours who was moving to Hawaii. His dog had just had pups and he brought over two for us to choose from and we took both, since we could not decide. Sebastian likes to chase flies, chase tennis balls, play tugging with toys, going for walks. Sebastian likes to open the pantry door with his nose, in search for doggy snacks.

By ida spida from Las Vegas, NV

Sebastian on the Arm of a Couch

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 9

Cynder is a 3 year 10 month old American Staffordshire terrier. She was a rescue puppy at 4.5 weeks old.

Cynder steals the cat's food, plays inside with our new puppy, and sleeps with her kid friends. She is the most loving dog; no alpha is she. People see her and melt. The new puppy bosses her around, and Cynder lets her.

She helped me through breast cancer. I had a real reason to fight for my life, and she never left my side.

By cynder

American Staffordshire Terrier

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 15

Johanne is a 4 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. A friend of ours was moving to Hawaii and his dog had just had a litter of pups.

When our friend came over, he had two pups for us to choose from and we could not decide, so we took in both.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Boo-Gie is a 5 year old American Staffordshire Terrier. I found her at Animal Control. She was a stray and had 2 days left until she would be euthanized. I brought her home that very day, 4 years ago.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 11

Jenny is 5 years old and a Staffordshire Terrier. We rescued Jenny from someone who could no longer take care of her.

She was 4 months old and had worms, the vet said one of the worst cases she had seen.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

To give dogs their worming or other medicinal tablet, wrap the tablet in a fresh large piece of ham or devon. Your best friend will take the tablet with no hesitation - guaranteed!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

Blu Venus is a 2 year old American Staffordshire. I traded out stud service of one of my males for her. She likes to chew my shoes up. Plus sleep in my bed with a pillow and blanket.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes

I got Miss Kitty in May of 2011. She turned 2 on April 1 2013.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 2

Bear came to us in 2012 through a rescue that had saved him from a kill shelter in Georgia, where he had been abandoned with rickets, heartworms, and demodex mange.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 1