Bull Terrier Breed Information and Photos

Category Bull Terrier
A small muscular dog that has small, triangular eyes and thin, erect ears. Its most distinct physical characteristic is its long, oval-shaped head. This guide contains bull terrier breed information and photos.

Breed Description: The Bull Terrier is a small muscular dog with small, triangular eyes and thin, erect ears. Its most distinct physical characteristic is its long, oval-shaped head that is flat on top, then sloping down to the nose without stopping.

Group: Terrier Group

Purpose of Breed: Baiting Bulls

Country of Origin: Great Britain

Average Size: Average 45-60 pounds and 21-22 inches tall

Color(s): Colors include pure white, black, brindle, red, fawn and tri-color.

Coat Type: The Bull Terrier has a short, thick coat that is harsh to the touch with a fine gloss, and is an average shedder.

Grooming: The Bull Terrier is an average shedder and should be combed and rubbed down daily with a rubber glove to remove dead hair and keep the coat shiny. This breed requires standard care for eyes, ears, pads, and nails.

Exercise Needs: Bull Terriers need ample exercise to prevent boredom and obesity. They love to chase bulls and play, but they should be kept on a lead at all times in public to prevent possible fights with other dogs. An apartment or small yard is sufficient living space for the Bull Terrier, as long as they are well exercised.

Temperament: Bull Terriers are playful and obedient, but also sometimes rough and aggressive. They need firm training and should not be encouraged to become possessive or jealous. Energetic and fearless, they can become attached and protective of their owners and do not typically like sharing the house with other pets. Bull Terriers are not recommended around small children as they will not tolerate teasing. They do not prefer to be left alone and fit well into families where they can receive companionship and supervision.

Common Ailments: Puppies should be checked for deafness and are prone to sudden lameness during the first year. Mature dogs are susceptible to skin allergies.

Life Expectancy: Averages 11-12 years

Trivia: One of the best-known and most loved advertising trademarks featuring a dog is, "Nipper," known in the United States as the "RCA dog." Nipper started life in Bristol, England in 1884. He was a real dog-part Bull Terrier and part Fox Terrier. "Ariela," the puppy currently featured in many of Target's ad campaigns is also a Bull Terrier.

More Information: Bull Terrier Club of America

Comment Pin it! Was this helpful? Yes

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

My Skelly Bob outfit to scare all the ghouls away, woof wooooooooffffffff.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Your Pet's Age
5

Your Pet's Breed
English Bull Terrier

How and when did you get your pet?
I have had her for 6 months due to her being a rescue dog. She was used for breeding.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She likes to lick my feet.

Do you have anything else to share about your pet?
I love her and I want people to know how much I love her.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 5

Your Pet's Age
1

Your Pet's Breed
Mini Bull Terrier

How and when did you get your pet?
I was searching for Bull Terriers on Craigslist when Pistol showed up! When I emailed the owner at the time, she was the last of the litter and no longer for sale. The owner's mother wanted to keep her. I pushed and pushed telling them that I needed to the meet pup! Finally, they agreed to meet me and luckily, they trusted me enough to sell her to me. And it's all history from there.

What does your pet like to do for fun?
She likes to spin for treats and she loves playing at the big dog park!

She loves to watch TV with the family and when she sees a fellow animal on TV, she goes crazy. First, she barks and yelps. Then, she gets closer to the TV, sits smack down the middle of the TV and just stares!

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 4

Molly is 5 years old. She is a Bull terrier. Molly joined our family in August 2007. She likes to sleep, fussing at her people, helicopter spins, getting massages.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? 6

Jess is a 5 year old English Bull Terrier. I got her in April 2003. She likes to play with her toys, and camping. She will not go in a river, but she will swim in the sea.

Comment Pin it! Like this photo? Yes