West Highland White Terrier Breed Information and Photos

West Highland White Terrier being held by a young girl.
Westies are a popular, energetic breed and great companions. This guide contains West Highland white terrier - breed and information.

Breed Description: The West Highland White Terrier is an elegant looking dog breed with a compact, sturdy body, small enough and with short enough legs to go where its quarry would take it. Its tail must be long enough to enable its master to pull it from holes. This dog breed is very affectionate and loves human and animal companionship.

Group: Terrier Group

Purpose of Breed: Hunting rats

Country of Origin: Scotland

Average Size: Ranges from 10-11 inches and 15-22 pounds.

Color(s): White

Coat Type: A double coat-wiry and flat on the outside and soft on the inside.

Grooming: This breed is an average shedder with a coat that should be brushed daily to stay in top condition. Special grooming is necessary if the dog is to be shown. Standard care is required for eyes, ears, pads and nails.

Exercise Needs: West Highland White Terriers require a moderate amount of exercise, but adapt well to apartment living if given daily opportunities to romp and play. They are hunters by nature and should be turned out in a safely enclosed area or exercised on a lead.

Temperament: The West Highland White Terrier is an active and assertive breed that is best suited to living with adults and older children. This breed can be very independent and strong-willed. It is alert and courageous and makes a wonderful watchdog. They make good obedience dogs with proper training and will get along with most other companion animals if introduced properly.

Common Ailments: Susceptible to patellar luxation, skin problems, hernias and liver disease.

Life Expectancy: Averages 12-14 years Trivia: There is a legend that says West Highland White Terriers were developed to be seen easily in the field after a hunter mistakenly took his red colored terrier for a fox and shot it.

More Information: West Highland White Terrier Club of America

Photos

Share on ThriftyFunCheck out these photos. Click at right to share your own photo in this guide.

This is Leyla, my 4 month old West Highland White Terrier. She really likes to meet other people and other dogs. She also eats a lot of food, she would eat anything that comes in her mouth. She likes to learn new tricks and she is very intelligent.

By Evelin

Leyla (West Highland Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 9

Simon is 9 years old. He is a West Highland Terrier. We bought Simon from a breeder in AR. He flew all the way to CT to be with us!

He likes to play what we call the "biting" game, he pretends our sleeves or hands are toys and he nips at them and pretends he's biting. He is one of the greatest gifts our family has ever received.

By deni137 from CT

Simon (West Highland Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 6

Sparky is an 11 year old Westie. We bought her when she was 10 weeks old because my 6 year old son wanted a sibling and we were unable to have another child.

So when we went to the breeder's house, I said to my son, "Pick out your sister." Sparky loves to play hide and seek with her daddy. He throws her ball down the hall then runs and hides in 1 of his 4 hiding places. Sparky goes after the ball, brings it back, drops it, then goes to hiding place number 1. If he's not there, she goes to hiding place number 2, until she finds him.

When she does see him, she turns around, grabs her ball and runs down the hall and daddy chases her. They can do this for 20 minutes at a time. She also likes to try to get her squeaky toy unwrapped from her baby blanket. Then she takes it back to us on the bed so we can wrap it up again and throw it again.

We are sure Sparky is gifted. If there was a gifted program for dogs, she would be in it. You can tell her which toy to get and she runs to her toybox and gets it. She has us wrapped around her little paw.

By Candace K. from Scottsdale, AZ

Comment Like this photo? 9

ChaCha Coconut King is 5 years old. She is a West Highland Terrier who I got the pet store when she was a puppy.

She likes to act like a bucking bronco! She is always willing to let us dress her up. She is so very loyal, but can be a rascal when she runs off sometimes!

By Cindy

ChaCha Coconut King (West Highland Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? 7

Pudgy was 10 years old on Valentine's Day, He is a Westie (West Highland White Terrier). My dear, late husband insisted for years that he really wanted a dog. We decided on a Westie because of their sunny attitude and good health.

When I went to pick him out at the breeder's, he was in an enclosure with his two siblings. Two of them were at the fence, looking happy and wagging tails. Pudgy, standing at the back of the enclosure, rushed forward and, like a cheerleader, jumped onto his brothers' backs making a pyramid, then stood up with his paws at the top of the fence and I was hooked.

I did NOT, however, understand this was Alpha dog behavior. He's a wonderful joy-filled handful and has kept my spirits soaring through the loss of my entire family (human) and my own serious illnesses. He makes getting up in the morning worthwhile!

Pudgy likes to climb up into my lap and nap, but he also protects the entire neighborhood by making sure I know a car or jogger has just gone by. He'll play fetch for hours if I'm up to it, and if he can get hold of a sock, he's as happy as can be! (See photo of him, his favorite ball and just-claimed sock).

Here in Michigan, we get a lot of snow, and it drifts up in front of the garage door. If we can't get out the front door because of snowdrifts, we head out through the garage. One morning after it had snowed all night, I opened the garage door and the drift was taller than he was! He just stood there looking at it for a minute, and then turned his head back over his shoulder to look at me, as if to say "Do we have a 'Plan B?" Fortunately, I keep puppy pads handy in case of such emergencies, so he was able to find peace until I got the drifts cleared away.

By Polly from Michigan

Pudgy (West Highland White Terrier)

Comment Like this photo? Yes

Jackson is a three year old West Highland Terrier - Poodle Mix. :) He was a gift from my ex boyfriend who has since passed. My ex instilled in me a passion for the mountains and hiking, Jackson loves hiking as well.

Jackson (West Highland Terrier Mix)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 7

While looking through the pages in kijiji one day my daughter and I came upon Tonka, he was 8 weeks old.

Westie.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 3

Maxwell is a 4 year old Westie. He likes to cuddle, chase next doors cat, and watch TV.

Maxwell (West Highland Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Lilly is a 14 month old West Highland Terrier. I got her from a breeder in Connecticut when Lilly was 8 weeks old. She likes to dig, play with her toys and likes the swimming pool.

Lilly (West Highland Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

We got him in March 2002 aged 10 weeks as a wedding present to ourselves as we already had one Westie at the time.

Sammy Jo (West Highland Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 5

Riley, the Wonder Westie is 2 1/2 year old West Highland White Terrier. We got Riley as a 3 month old puppy from Scottie Kingdom Rescue.

Riley (West Highland White Terrier)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Found him at the flea market in 2008.

Scooter in Santa suit.

CommentPin It! Like this photo? 2

Jerry and Shana (West Highland White Terriers) Photo. Jerry and Shana are 10 and 9 years old. They are both Westies. . .

Jerry and Shana
(West Highland White Terriers)

CommentPin It! Like this photo? Yes

Jerry and Shana (West Highland White Terriers)

Jerry and Shana are 10 and 9 years young. They are Westies. They are both rescues.

Jerry likes soft toys. Shana like squeaky toys. Both like chasing squirrels.

By Kandy from Oceanside, New York

Answers:

They are so cute! We have a Westie "Lucy" she is eleven. Lucy is having trouble getting around. Does your ten year old have any problems with arthritis? Do you give them a vitamin supplement? I probably need to get her to the vet, but just wondered if you are experiencing anything with your ten year old. (11/20/2006)

By

They are just 2 darlings. I have a toy poodle, named Peanuts. (11/20/2006)

By Shonda from Western Ky

They are adorable! Don't you just love rescue dogs? I think they are so much more loving than breeder dogs - I have 2 rescue dogs and one rescue cat. Give them a biig hug and kiss for me. (11/21/2006)

By tedsmom

ADORABLE! Love the outfits and patriotic setting! My yorkie and Jack Russell send woof-woofs!
(11/21/2006)

By meoowmom