AdviceHome Improvement

Home Improvement Price Comparisons

I want to put up a new fence around my yard this year, either a privacy or chain-link. I also plan to repaint the exterior of my home and replace the front porch and back porch. My question is: Does anyone know any websites that compare prices on these kind of items? I want to make a well informed decision but don't have time to go from store to store comparing prices myself. My husband and I will be doing the work to save money and want to get the best deal. Thanks in advance.

Blake from Poteau, OK

I'm sure you've already considered this, but make sure you consider the weight/gage of the wire if you are pricing chainlink fencing. We had one around the yard of the home we bought, and needed to add more. We never considered the chain link's wire gage, and the new stuff we put up is a lot flimsier than the other fencing. We've had some problems and have needed to replace and fix several areas after 10 years. It would have been a lot less problematic if we'd just bought a heavier fencing to start with, even if it cost more up front. But we just didn't know, and no one at the fencing company gave us that info.

try www.epinion.com

It's a free site and you may find some consumer info for these products.

We are doing the same thing! I took my digital camera everywhere and took pictures of fences I liked. (around 40) It took us about 2 months to finally decide on a wooden fence. We measured length and height and with pen and paper we either went to the hardware/home improvement (store)/ want ads and estate sales. I finally ended up getting our fence off www.craigslist.org

We paid $400.00 for a fence & 3 gates that otherwise would have cost nearly $2500 (w/o the gates)