Browsing: Cleaning and Maintaining a Cat Litter Box

No Stick Kitty Litter

There is nothing I despise more than cleaning the litter box. Even when you dump it, there is still litter stuck to the bottom that you have to scrape out, and it stinks to all high heaven. Well, here's a way to keep the stink off and save yourself the trouble. Clean the box off and wipe dry. Spray with cooking spray and sprinkle with baking soda; pour in litter, and you are done. The next time you clean, there will be no clumps stuck to the litter box.

By Suzanne S.

Showing: Comments Sort: Relevance

Nobody here likes to clean the litter box. So -- we have always used kitty litter bags sold at Kmart. Well we ran out and used our 33 gallon Hefty bags in a pinch and found they worked as well and were cheeper. We have 3 cats and they scratch the inside of the litter hut and the bags still hold up.

Best,

CHML

we have two indoor cats. we use a clump litter. its called scoop away maximum odor control. ive tried arm and hammer and found thats not a good litter. you just have to shop around and try different types. the trick is that you have to scoop everyday religiously! ive even timed it, it takes 25 seconds to clean out both litter boxes! now i told myself i can make that time! I had the repair man in the house and he didnt even know we had cats..let alone indoor cats! if some of the waste sticks to the bottom i turn my scooper over and scrape it off and remove it...then the litter is able to soak up any moisture on the pan itself..and i only do a complete cleaning once a year..

At WalMart they have these really cool litter pan liners in a blue box. There are 10 to a box plus a transfer one without holes to help save the litter from box to box.

You use the clumping litter (Scoop Away is best) and instead of scooping, all you do is sift the litter through the holes in the liner, and then the liner and clumps go into a small plastic grocery sack and into the trash. You don't have to touch the litter.

It is great!!! I started using it on a whim, just out of curiosity, and never went back to scooping!!! The cat litter pan stays clean as well with the unholed liner under it all.

A box of 10 liners is $2.87 in the pet department at WalMart. It is stocked near the cat vitamins and dewormers and accessories, not with the litter.

What we always do is after completely cleaning the litterboxes, we spray them lightly with Pam *non-stick cooking spray* It works like a charm!

I am glad to learn of the vegetable spray/baking soda kitty box hint. I have one cat that has Very Loud pee. No matter what I do we have smell all over the house. Believe me this is very discouraging and I have tried everything I know. This will be a good hint I can easily try.

patsAZ

I have got to try that and see how it works...if it helps cut down on the kitty stank, then I'm all for it!

This is a very timely hint . It's time for me to clean miss molly's litter box. I have tried the plastic liners but she manages to claw a hole in them or sometimes she even works to pull them away from the side of the pan. I like the spray and baking soda idea best of all. I'm 78 and have had cats all my life so i know whereof I speak.

I have 2 cats and this tip will come in handy. I hate to clean the litter box. The worst chore of all. I use the litter that comes in a box and it is called sWheat scoop. Smells better than most and goes farther. I get it at Krogers.

Wow! Thank you for sharing your great idea. I have 3 cats and 3 litter boxes, I will certainly try your new trick. Thanks. Sher, Bears, Lilly & Pie-Pie.

I find that the Clumping type litter is great. It's easy to clean and doesn't smell. We only have one cat and I normally clean her box every other day but even if I miss a day, there is no smell. I use the Special Kitty clumping litter from Walmart, but any type of clumping litter works. It might be more expensive that regular litter, but lasts much longer, because you only remove the soiled litter.

Another good idea for this is Avon's Skin-So-Soft oil. You do need to clean & dry the box well then either spritz the oil on or spray it on a paper towel, then wipe the towel around the litter box. Of course I have a couple SSS spray bottles on hand then buy the large bottles when on sale & refill the spray bottles.

A cat smelling a litter box
Cleaning and Maintaining a Cat Litter Box
Pets CatsJanuary 29, 2005
Kitty Litter Substitute
Kitty Litter Substitutes
Black cat in a litter box.
Kitty Litter Tips and Tricks
Frying Fish Sticks
Homemade Fish Stick Recipes
Cat Litter
Alternative Uses for Cat Litter
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on September 25, 2016 at 8:30:23 AM on 10.0.2.36 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.