Marking Cleaning Rags

When I have old stained tea towels, hand towels, facecloths or dishcloths, I use them for rags. The way I identify them so I don't use them again for good linen is to cut the towels in half and cut the corners off the facecloths and dishcloths.

By Sheila from Ontario

The best dusting rags are socks. All of our socks with holes in them go in my rag bag. Make wonderful dust rags.If you can still find them the cotton diapers are good too.

I use mine for rags too, and you're right--it can be hard to tell which is which. I used to draw a line across them with a markie. But why is it that when you want a markie to stay on, it washes out and when you accidently mark something and try to get the mark out, it won't budge?

I mark towel and wash cloth rags by sewing a bright colored

thread through one corner. This way they don't ravel as they do when cut. It's easy to spot when folding the cloths.

I put a big black "W" applied with a laundry pen to distinguish my WORK rags.

I just cut about 2 inches into the rag so I know it is a rag.

Also, a lot of the small old rags, I just use to wipe the bathroom floor and then toss.

Love the tips about rags. I have not bought paper towels for about 5 years. I use everything, and then I wash and use again. I take sleeves out of tee shirts etc, so as not to confuse. I keep dirty rags in a basket and then wash all of them at the same time. Voila! ready to go again. In summer they dry rapidly in sun, and in winter I put them in the bathroom where the steam improves the dry air. Never put in dryer, never put anything in dryer - save the electric energy for something vital, like...I do not know what.

Thanks for the hint on cutting face cloths. They have been hard to keep separate.

Cleaning With Rags
Cleaning With Rags
Home and Garden Cleaning TipsMarch 7, 2008
basket of clothing
Uses for Old Clothing
Skull Caps
Skull Cap Patterns
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
Marking Hard Boiled Eggs
kid wearing a jacket
Marking Jackets for School