Dog Stops Walking During Pottie Walks

My Yorkie is 5 years old and when I take her out for our walk to potty, at a point she will not walk anywhere, she just sits and will not move. The only way I can get her to come is to pick her up and take her in the house. Can you help me with this problem I can't seem to solve?

Jerry from Longview, TX

I have the same exact problem with my 4 year old Yorkie. I was told at our last vet check-up that it's my doggy's knees - I don't remember the exact name the vet said, but it's something like the knee caps are moving from their location and causing pain. My vet suggest giving a low dose asprin 1/2 hour prior to going out for her potty walk. It's not that you doggy does not want to walk, but CAN'T walk. I, also, pickup my little doggy and carry him. It's actually a joke around our house. My husband calls it taking the dog out for a "carry!" Good luck.

I had the exact same problem with my Pomeranian-Yorkie mix. A trip to the vet revealed that his kneecaps are dislocating when he walks. He wouldn't walk because it hurt! The vet says Yorkies are VERY prone to this condition. It will cause premature arthritis. Poor Teddy just had to have surgery on the left one, because it was so very bad.

I have a Pekingese who just recently started doing that. On a whim one day, I kicked off one shoe and as soon as I put my bare foot down on the seemingly soft grass, I almost fell over while trying to bounce back up & stand on the other foot still in a shoe.... The yard had grown large patches of little tiny unseen stickers that were EXTREMELY painful! Some areas didn't have them, but as soon as she got to an area that did, she sat down, refusing to budge. Now the neighbors probably think I'm crazy, because I'm frequently seen 'feeling' the ground with my hand before I'll set my little dog down on it. Next time you go take your dog for a walk, go barefoot, you never know.

My stubborn 15-1/2 years old Pomeranian enjoyed walking, forcibly pulling back and stopping when out for potty business. Recently, he pulls and stops and fakes lameness or weakness. When I let him go wherever he wants then he will "recover" and begin walking as though nothing happened. Inside the house there are no such shows as he is free to walk to where he wants. When he stops and pulls, this nine pounder seems to weigh 30 pounds but he will refuse to walk. When I begin pulling him slowly he will resist but will resume walking normally when I begin to pull harder. It appears to me that he is faking it. If he were in pain he would not pull back so forcibly. When I panick, I'll pick him up and he will quickly walk inside the house. Any suggestions?

Pets Dogs AdviceMay 20, 2008
dog on laminate flooring
Dog Afraid of Laminate Floor
Dog in Red Harness
Using A Dog Harness
Dog Walk
Safety Tips for Dog Walks
A mom and two kids crossing the street.
Safety Tips for Pedestrians