Safety Tips for Dog Walks

Many dog owners take their pets for walks in the morning or evening. A few cautionary steps will ensure a safe, enjoyable time with your dog. This is a guide about safety tips for dog walks.

DH came up with a walking leash for night time. And he did so because people are not as careful driving at night through our neighborhood as they used to be. Also with kids riding skateboards and bikes on the sidewalks at night with no lights, it is only common sense, to light your way front and back.

He also put a strap with Velcro on the handle in case he has to scoop Buddy up from an attack.

By Great Granny Vi from Moorpark, CA

First of all, I was moved to write this when the pet owner submitted a picture of their beloved pit bull that passed away. I love am a dog lover and my heart goes out to anyone who experiences the lost of a loved pet. Pit bulls certainly get bad press.

I am an avid walker and would like to share my tips for every one to use when they see a stray dog on the street. I carry a small container of mace with me, plus my cell phone in case a call needs to be made. For your safety, Never approach or look at an unfamiliar dog in the eyes. Do not scream in its presence or disturb one that is sleeping or eating. Try your best to stay calm. Even if a dog looks harmless, let the dog sniff you first. If you feel threatened, do not run. Remain motionless with arms at your side and avoid eye contact. If you are stuck, roll into a fetal position and play dead. If it is possible, throw out your jacket, shirt, bag or anything that can separate you from its jaws.

I keep Animal Control programmed into my cell phone. When I am walking, if I see any stray dogs without a collar on, I speed dial Animal Control so they can come and pick it up. I have had several run-ins with dogs that have been out for a walk without their owner and decided to growl at me or jump at me. I have successfully been able to avoid any injury.

Just as a note, the three dogs that became aggressive with me were a heeler, a very large chow and a mixed dog of some sort. I have never run into any pit bulls. Remember, anytime an animal feels threatened, they have teeth and you can not ever be sure how a animal will react! Hope these tips help.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall

I just found a site that is perfect for anyone with a dog or a cat. Whether you walk your dog or take him on car trips or whatever. Using a lighted collar and leash would greatly improve the pet's safety! And the prices are very reasonable too! I plan on getting one for each of my dogs.

Source:

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC