Night Safety Tips

Category Personal
After the sun sets, it is important to make sure you can safely find your way around your home and yard, and be easily seen if you venture out. This is a guide about night safety tips.

Peel off backing from safety glow tape and decorate a lamp shade with it. Mine has a simple design. As it charges in the day, it is then ready for night, acting like a nightlight for free!

Look around the room and see where else you can use the glow tape for a little comfort light at night. I have it on the inside of several door casings in my home and normally don't have to switch on lights to pass through dark rooms!

Invest in some quality glow paint and, for a little cash, teenagers could offer to paint the shades (or other items) or do a decoration on them for other people. Once it catches on, you might have a small at home business you could work from out of any vented out of the way space!

By Melody_yesterday from Otterville, MO

To make it easier to get around in the dark, I took some glow-in-the-dark paint (or you could use glow-in-the-dark decals) and put some around each door handle in the house. I also put just a couple of glow-in-the-dark decals on my sliding glass doors.

I also put one on the tank of each toilet, positioning it so it can be seen even if the lid is left up. And one close to the sinks in the bathrooms. And finally one on the fridge, close to the handle.

This way I don't have to turn the lights on for simple things I may want to do at night.

By Cricketnc from Parkton, NC

I thought this would be a good way of added safety, too We do this at night to help with airflow between our rooms since we have furbabies we keep out of the hall at night. We put a bungee cord around one door handle and then hook the other end around another nearby door. We use a small piece of plywood in the doorway so that the door is ajar for airflow, but the cats cannot open it to come into the bedroom hallway at night.

I had a thought that this would be be good for additional security too as a burglar would never expect the door to be secured in this way. It would give extra time to call 911 or reach for your weapon of choice.

By Marti from Athens, GA

Keep your car keys beside your bed at night. If you hear a noise outside your home or someone trying to get in your house, just press the panic button. This is a guide about using the security alarm on your key chain.

Read More... Was this helpful? Yes

My Dad is on oxygen 24/7 and has a canula in his nose, and the tubes go around his ears to hold it on. Does anyone know of any tips to keep the thing on at night other than taping it to his head? We can't do this, of course, but any other suggestions will be appreciated!

Diane from Midwest

Editor's Note: Diane's father passed away before this could be published in a newsletter. This may be helpful to someone in the future so we will publish it. Please everyone keep Diane and her family in your thoughts and prayers.

Answers

Take the tubing that goes around his ears and leave the whole thing behind his head, main tube that usually hangs under his neck will now rest at the base of his neck. Tighten the little piece of plastic which usually tightens under his chin and tighten at the base of his skull. Just make sure he is alert enough that when he's sleeping that he rotates with the tubing. If not alert run tubing in the back of his night shirt, to prevent getting it aroung his neck while sleeping.
If you dont want to put it behind his head you can use one of the straps that athletes use to keep thier glasses on. You may have to make ajustments in case tubing is to thin, rap tape around tubing. You could make a similar device with velcro or elastic. Measure from back of ear to back of ear, with elastic make sure its snug so it wont slip,like a half head band. Secure around tubing you have marked for proper fit and placement, fix one just for night use only so you can change the tubing in am an not have to fasten and unfasten your stap from the tubing. Good Luck.

Thank you for your suggestion--my Dad passed away on Saturday. But maybe this can help someone else. Thanks again.

Editor's Note: So sorry to hear this. Our sincere condolences are with you. Take care.

Thank you for your condolences--my family appreciates it. We are blessed in so many ways!!

I want to convey my deepest condolences to you on the loss of your dad and he will always be with you in your thoughts and in your heart. God Bless you!

I lost my dear Dad 6 months ago today. So sorry--sounds like your Dad is better off now like my Dad is--my Dad had Parkinson's disease for half his life--starting at age 38.

I'm so sorry for your loss but thought I might give a tip incase anyone read this needing an idea. I had a baby on oxygen and the hospital gave us little round band aid type adhesives that stuck to her cheeks and then had a second layer to stick the tubes to. You can get them at the hospital if you ask or at a medical supply store. They are cheep and very helpful.

Sorry for your loss

I recently purchased a bottle of glow-in-the-dark paint. It's the type in the "squirt out bottle" sold at Walmart. I squirted dots of this paint on my door knobs and light switches. This way I can easily find my way to door when I turn out my lights!

By Cyinda from near Seattle

Answers:

Use Glow in the Dark Paint on Knobs and Light Switches

What a great idea! This would be a great help if there was an emergency at night and there were no lights working.
(02/07/2008)

By jwrh626

Also put some on an old pair of shoes to keep by the door in case of fire. (02/08/2008)

By Christine, IN

The only problem is: The paint doesn't stay lit up for very long (about half an hour). But, It MIGHT help in a fire? (02/08/2008)

By Cyinda

I thing that this idea is so great. I put some on my ceiling fan. Nice look in the dark. (02/16/2008)

By Janet from Toronto