Cleaning Bare Wood

I have a small shelf of bare wood that is a lovely color-except where the dust is ingrained into it. The previous owner left it either in the garage or outdoors somewhere. How do I remove the ingrained dust from it? I tried baby oil, which a standard cleaner in my house, but it didn't work. That's been a while ago so hopefully the oil's dried up and won't inhibit cleaning it.

By nekocat from OR

What about an orbital type sander, or one of the small hand held ones? If you don't have one, check around to see if someone has one you could borrow, or better yet, come do it for you! They would sand the surface of the shelf, and get the layer of dust and grime off. Hubby has bunch of those shelves in the utility room, and I collect old car floor mats when I find them, cut them up, and line the shelves with them, to help contain the paints, cleaners, tools, etc.

I agree that it has to be sanded. Easier if you can detach it from the wall or wherever. After, apply a protective coat of some kind. There are many.

Home and Garden Cleaning FurnitureAugust 31, 2009
Cleaning up Mildew From Wood
Removing Mildew from Wood
Couple Looking at Bare Spots in Lawn
Filling Bare Spots in a Lawn
Hands polishing a wood table
Cleaning Wood Furniture
Planting Bare-Root Tree
Tips For Buying And Planting Bare-Root Plants
🎄
🍂