Household Tool Box Tips

My Tool Box

Do you have your own tool box for in the house. Whenever I needed a tool, I had to go out to the garage and get one of my husband's. If I forgot to put it back, I heard about it. So, I went and bought myself an inexpensive tool box. Every so often, I would buy some basic tools to put in it. I keep the tool box in the house in the pantry. Now, hubby knows better then to touch "MY" tools.

By Aria Rogers

Mark "Your" Tools

I've heard that marking "your" tools somehow with something pink will help keep them separate from your husband's tools!

By MB in WY

Fishing Tackle Box

A small fishing tackle box does an excellent job of serving as a small in-house toolbox. I've had one for many years and love it. My husband knows that any tools in that box are strictly hands-off for him, unless I loan them to him.

By tedsmom

Small Handy Tool Box

Put together a small tool box for making minor repairs around the house. Fill it with the essentials: hammer, screw drivers, a chisel, pliers, scissors, a small level, a tape measure and anything else you find yourself needing frequently. Keep it in a safe convenient place and make sure all the tools and the tool box is put away when it's done being used.

This is a great tip. I've had my own tool box for years.....seems my hubby even got me some of the tools as stocking stuffers years ago. Besides the typical screwdrivers and such, I also keep a small hammer and small nails so that I might hang pictures w/o having to wait on my hubby to do it! Also a tape measure is handy in your box too....oh and needle nose pliars come in real handy.

i received one of these from my ever-practical father for a christmas gift when i went away to college and had my own apartment for the first time. he would give me his cast-off tools. i was so proud i had it b/c i didn't have to rely on my male neighbor friends for every little repair. as i became more adept at fixing things, i would ask for special tools for christmas and birthday gifts. i think my dad got a kick out of buying them for me and showing me how to use them. might make a good gift for a new grad or newlyweds and single mom's too.

I also have my own toolbox. I bought a bright red one at the hardware store and adorned it with bright 'girly' stickers. I also wrapped the handles of all my tools with bright pink and purple electrical tape so that my husband wouldn't use them. Hee hee. I always know where my tools are and he comes and asks me if he wants to borrow. I can also pad lock it if necessary.

I made both my adult daughters similar boxes for Christmas and put in a set of basic tools for each. They love them!

Ya, I posted this idea long ago and yes pink because men will not put pink in their tool box.

I grew up a daddy's girl and as long as I can remember I've worked with tools. I worked as a mechanic at a large chemical plant for years before my retirement. Our house is 2 story so a few months ago I started putting tools in several different places. A tool box upstairs, one down stairs, a large drawer in the shop with the tools needed there and and 2 large roll around boxes with 2 boxes that sit on top. The large boxes I inherited from my dad. I went through the tools and picked out the ones that I needed in the different locations. How many screw drivers does someone need in one place? The screw driver type tool that has all different shapes that fit into the handles has worked good for me.

I also made up a garden tool tote. I put garden tools, string, tie wraps, garden wire for plants, panty hose, etc. and a screw driver. I use it to open the door on my bluebird boxes I monitor on my bluebird trail. I keep the larger hand held garden tools that I don't use as much in another tote.

I purchased two 18 inch long magnet holders and attached them to my garage wall right outside my kitchen door leading to garage. I got tired of digging through a toolbox to find a particular screwdriver, pliers, etc. Sometimes I'd put them in a toolbox and sometimes in a workbench drawer but never remembered which. I attached all those, including scissors to the magnets. The magnet even holds a hammer. These magnets were less than $5 a piece. No more digging.

Green Household Tool Box
Creating a Household Toolbox
Organizing ToolsJanuary 2, 2007
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Making a Washer Lariat Necklace
Digital Converter Box
Using a Digital Converter Box
Cat in Litter Box
Cat Not Using the Litter Box
A trunk for putting congratulations card into at a wedding.
Making a Card Box for Your Wedding