StainsCleaning

Water Marks On Nubuck Shoes

My father-in-law went for a walk in the woods in nubuck shoes. It wasn't wet but the leaves were damp and some water got into his shoes.

Now he has "tide-marks" or water marks on them.

I realise he should have known better and they should have had protector on them, but given they are now soiled, does anyone know a way to get rid of the marks, or at least make them better

Katey Nixon, Gloucestershire, England

I'm not clear if the problem is dirt, dark water stains, or white water marks. For dirt, try saddle soap, but be careful. For dark stains, try a bit of baking soda/water paste on a soft brush and gently brush the marks. For white water marks, use the soft brush dipped in white vinegar. Try to not make another "wet" stain, keep the brush as dry as you can whether you're using the baking soda or the vinegar, a little goes a long way. You can also try (this is a weird one but sometimes works) Rosebud lip salve on a brush, the salve has borax as an ingredient and an oil base. Use very sparingly. After any treatment, brush off or wipe off any residue and then use some protectant spray after the shoes are completely dry and free of residue.

I have a stone that is made precisely for this purpose. I also have a tool that is a stone on one side, and a brush on the other side. You use the stone to rub the stain away, and the brush to return the nap of the nubuck to it's original condition. I suspect these tools are easily found at most shoe stores. In this country, we can even find them in discount stores like Walmart. They are quite inexpensive, and work quite well. I use them all the time on nubuck -- even shoes that I have treated with some sort of waterproofing spray.

i have a real ugly water stain on my suede boots. i tried almost every thing can u help me?

I woke up and put my boots on. I didn't see the wet stain until my friend told me. I freaked out. I waited until my boots were dry to scrub them with a dry towel. But you can also use corn meal to get the wet stains out.

The only real solution is simply do not buy nubuck shoes or suede.

I spent several hundred pounds on supposed really high end pair of moccs, only for some water to get on them recently, and they are completely ruined.

I am furious that if you can not have a pair of shoes that you can go out in, then why buy them.

I will never purchase nubuck again, they are a massively overrated and expensive product that is easily ruined.

A bit of water on them, left a horrible tide mark on them that has stained them permanently.

Moral of the story is, if you must have any type of leather, you get LEATHER not nubuck because nubuck is utter shite.