Make Your Own Bra Strap Holders

Have you seen the mini-infomercials for the round plastic bra strap holders to allow you to convert your bra for inward-facing t-shirt straps - so that your bra doesn't show? I hate that.

Well, in the ad, they show a close-up of the actual item. I'll be darned if I'll pay $20 for 6 of these things. So I just took the clear plastic lid off a can of finished peanuts, made my own circle, used a craft knife to cut the inner grooves and I now have a fancy strap converter. Sure, I smell a bit like nuts - but since I'm nuts it all goes together.

Source: The infomercial for the plastic bra-strap converters

By Barbara from Wickliffe, OH

How clever, wish I had read your tip a few days ago, I just paid ten dollars for the same ones. Hated to pay it but tired of problem with straps.

Can you show us what your peanut can bra strap holder looks like? Thanks. Linda

I would love to see a picture of it- can you upload a photo for us to see?

Pretty please?

Monique :)

LOL, what a clever idea!

Super idea! I like the idea of the holders but, like you, I couldn't bring myself to pay such an outrageous price for those small pieces of plastic. Glad you came up with this idea. I'm going to try it myself!

I was trying to figure out a way to make these things and you went and did it! Thank you! Which one did you copy. There are at least 2 I thought were interesting.

Good idea! I've always used a barrett ... The kind with the solid metal bar that clamps closed by sliding under the top portion of the barrett (Wear with metal portion facing your body).

They are slim, come in assorted lengths & colors, don't unhook willy nilly and most of us have a few of them still hiding in our bathroom somewhere even during the times we've cut our hair short :-)

I did buy the gizmoes to hold my straps up. I have small shoulders, and can't keep ANY bra straps in place. Well, no matter how hard I tried, they wouldn't work for me. My straps were to short to meet in the middle even though I adjusted them to the longest length possible. I have wondered what else I could use -- so I like this tip. I really like the idea of using a barrette as it is longer. I had thought of using a safety pin and elastic, but I couldn't put that in place by myself. Karenhope

I also have trouble keeping bra straps up because I have narrow shoulders and a very large bust. I buy the clear elastic that is about 3/8 of an inch wide and sew it across the back of my bra. There are rings on my bras to attack them to. Then when I put it on, I put it on like a t-shirt. You can buy these also but it is so much cheaper to make them.

Do you have a picture you can post? I would like to see exactly how to do this. I just bought a dress that needs the straps brought together. Thanks so much

I thought of making some too, but my first thought was cutting

a circle from a plastic milk caton. But you are smart!

The lid of a peanuts can would be much softer and less likely to scratch!

clever , crafty and $$$saving.

great tip

I have always had trouble with my bra straps sneaking down over my shoulders. I don't need the straps real close together. I just use a shoe string and tie them behind my head. Then I slip it down the straps so the string doesn't show above the neck line. Works for me!

I like the straps you can buy that attach to your bra strap. My friend gave me a set. My straps have fallen down ever since I started wearing a bra. So far this has been the best solution. Not sure where she got them tho. I will have to ask her.

woman wearing a bra
Keeping Bra Straps from Slipping
Better Living Frugal Living TipsMarch 19, 2009
Glass frog pencil holders.
Unique Pencil Holders
Pony Tail Holder
Making Your Own Pony Tail Holder
Making Bra Straps Shorter
Making Bra Straps Shorter
crochet strap for Crock Pot lid
Making a Crochet Crock Pot Strap
🎄