Dryer Sheets In Place of Potpourri and More

We have a coal stove for heat and in the winter it can get quite dry. Also living in an old farm house can get a bit stagnant smelling. I found a great tip that will work on any type of stove. I absolutely love the smell of fabric softener. I usually keep the used dryer sheets and reuse them for dusting, etc.

However, I took a few of them and placed them in an old pan (with water in it) on top of my coal stove. Not only did it put moisture in the air but it also added a light aroma in my home and took that nasty closed up smell away. You can also add orange peels to it or spices etc. It seems to work better then my potpourri pots.

My sister has a regular furnace and she placed her dryer sheets under the edge of the grate and it puts off a great smell each and every time her heat turns on. Don't forget to reuse those sheets. They work great for dusting, getting stuck on food off dishes, placing in a vacuum bag, also run one through long hair, it keeps the static down. I also place them in drawers, my stored clothes, closets etc. And when the smell is gone, just place them in a ziplock bag with a few drops of liquid fabric softener and voila! new sheets to reuse. Oh and one last tip. My daughter runs track and she has some stinky feet (lol). I place a dryer sheet inside her sneakers and it takes the smell right away.

By Melissa

Great tips!! I have another one, dryer sheets are excellent on removing hard water spots on the glass shower and tile!!! Just wet, clean and rinse. No scrubbing required!

Pam from MN

I grew up with a coal furnace. I was just telling my daughter that I miss the smell of coal burning. It's pretty much a thing of the past where I'm from. I also miss the smell of burning leaves, which is now banned in our town.

You can also use liquid fabric softener and a little water in a small pot. Simmer on the stove. It, too, can be used in place of potpourri.

Home and Garden Cleaning OdorsNovember 8, 2004
foil ball
Alternatives To Dryer Sheets
Photo of an angel craft made form used dryer sheets.
Making Dryer Sheet Angels
Cutting dryer sheets in half.
Saving Money on Dryer Sheets
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri, Dried Flowers in Container
Adding Scent to Old Potpourri