Pre-Cook Onions in the Microwave

I figured this out one day when I was heating up a can of my husband's favorite brand name baked beans. If I just add a diced onion to the beans, the beans are heated through before the onion is cooked.

So now I dice an onion, any size, and put it in a microwave container, add a little water (about a tablespoon, depending on the size of the onion), and microwave on high for a few minutes, or until the onion is softened. Then add to your dish, or add the other ingredients to the microwaved onion, and continue microwaving to heat through.

By Carol L. from South Bend, IN

Yes, yes, this is a great tip. I sometimes want a few cooked onions for a sandwich but don't want to drag out a skillet. Thanks.

Cooking Onions
Cooking Onions
Food and Recipes Food Tips Cooking TipsSeptember 17, 2009
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
chopping green onions
Chopping Green Onions
Onions growing in the ground.
Growing Onions
Freezing Green Onions
Freezing Green Onions