Keeping Ice off the Car

contest winner icon

Winter in Alaska where we live can be so harsh! No matter where you live, though, scraping ice off of your car in the early morning is just no one's idea of fun. This is the BEST WAY to keep your windshield frost free.

Wipe the windows and windshield of your vehicle down with white vinegar, undiluted, after you park your car for the night. This will prevent frost from building on your car, and who doesn't LOVE that?

By AlaskanAurora from Dutch Harbor, Alaska

Winter is coming to Ohio, too. Neither hubby nor I am up to standing in the cold trying to clear the windshield. We must try this solution this year!

Wow, that is a great idea if it works. I plan to find out in this upcoming Iowa winter.

Great idea but won't it hurt the paint on the car. You remind me of my son in law, he puts a tarp over his car to keep the snow off.

Thanks for sharing.

Gem

As a former resident of both Fairbanks, and Anchorage, I can attest that this works. Some other hints are: Never set the emergency brake when it is below freezing, never bend any metal that is already bent as it will snap off, and if you can plug in your car, do it.

Those in Alaska know a thing or two about cold weather! The shot is Laird Hot Springs in the Yukon Territory. The water is about 103 degrees in the summer and about 89-95 in the winter. This shot is from a day that was about -50.

I have a question. Can I keep the spray bottle in the car, or will it freeze? I kinda am thinking it will freeze, but then again...maybe not, if u spray it on the windshield?

I live in MPLS MN. Thanks!

Vinagar freezes at 28° Fahrenheit. So, depending where you live, you might be able to keep it in your car.

Thanks for this tip. So easy and"thrifty"too. I'll definitely pass this on to others. Winter can be bad enough without having to scrape off a heavily iced windows.

Keeper

What about the vinegar on the pant?

Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice, Man Cleaning Snow and Ice off of Windshield
Keeping Your Windshield Free of Snow and Ice
Consumer Advice Cars Winter DrivingOctober 12, 2010
Saving Money on Car Rentals, Neon Car Rental Sign
Saving Money on Car Rentals
Valentine's ice cream sandwiches.
Ice Cream Cake Hearts
Removing Ice from Your Windshield, Gloved hand scraping icy windshield.
Removing Ice from Your Windshield
Man Cleaning Car Interior
Cleaning Your Car's Interior
🎉
🎄