Best Laundry Soap for Front Load Washers

There are laundry detergents made especially for front loading washers. Choosing the best one for your machine can improve its overall performance. This is a guide about best laundry soap for front load washers.

Laundry soap on top of a washer.
Filter Sort

Question: Using Homemade Laundry Soap in HE Machines

By brenda 1

Can homemade laundry soap be used in the HE washing machines?

Brenda from Carrollton, Texas

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Barb. Lehto 2 14 Flag

Homemade laundry detergent does not have any suds because we don't put a 'sudsing agent' in it. Suds do nothing to clean the clothes - it's just a visual thing - when we see suds, we think the soap is working.

Homemade laundry soap is made by grating a bar of Fels Naptha soap, put it into a pot with enough water to cover the soap + about 2". Heat on low to medium until soap is dissolved , stirring occasionally, and add to a 5 gal. bucket of the hottest water from your tap. Stir well & add 1 cup of WASHING soda (found in laundry area of store). Put into gallon jugs (not milk jugs - plastic is too weak). Use 1/2 c. per load. A bar of Ivory soap can be used instead of Fels Naptha. Soap can gel, so shake before using. Works great & comes to about $1.50 for 5 gal! Been using it for years. If you don't have a laundry tub, use the bathtub & clean it out with the spilled stuff after you are done - a 2fer!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: What's the Best Soap for a Front Loading Washer?

By syber 1 1

I just bought a front load washer. Do we need to use that expensive soap? Can we make our own? Thanks!

By Syber from IA

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Best Answers

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

You can definitely make your own. The borax and castile detergent is low sudsing. Would work fine in the front loader.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By guest (Guest Post) Flag

There are many sites for making your own and I have tried 3 of them. Our clothes did not come out as bright so I went back to Tide but I stretch it a little with the homemade soap.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Patti 1 35 Flag

I just use less soap.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Laundry Soap for Front Loading Washers

By Aline 1

I just got a new front loading washer. Can I use up my old regular detergent by using smaller amounts or will it damage the washer? Thank you.

By Aline from Vero Beach, FL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Barbara Leviton 7 12 Flag

We use Maytag front loader at our dry cleaning stores. I found that LG front load washer is not the best. BUT, I have found that the following gives me a good and fresh smell to our laundry: 1 Tablespoon of the proper tide (HE) detergent is ample.The odor comes from putting too much detergent in. On towels I add some vinegar too. I wipe down the rubber and put a small sink stopper to keep it open. Also, it really is a must to drain it every month.(A pain!). Our machine is 4 years old. It was rated highly by consumers. I would definitely not recommend it.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Can I Use Homemade Laundry Powder in HE Top Load Washer?

By cettina 78 392

Please, can anyone give me some advice?
I have a brand new HE top loading washing machine being delivered next week and I'm worried if I can use my homemade laundry powder in it.

My recipe is:
1 cup grated laundry soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda (I have hard water)
1 cup oxygen-based brightener (like oxy)
I don't use borax since its not available in my country.

I usually use 1/2 cup of powder since my old twin-tub machine had the capacity for 17lb "dry" weight of clothes. This new one has the same capacity. I don't get good results using less powder. This recipe suds up a little, but not too much.

Will I damage my new machine if I use this powder or should I buy the expensive HE laundry powder available?
Liquid detergent is not an option coz I don't like them.
Thanks for any help.

By cettina from Malta, Europe

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By kiki Schwartz 3 Flag

HE washers are notorious for the buildup of mold and mildew regardless of the brand and have to be cleaned frequently and all instructions followed. the stinky clothes refer to are actually mold or mildew located somewhere within the machine. Use only detergent marked h/e and use as little as possible.

I have used powder and liquid so go with your preference but you should only see minimal suds and that is because the detergent formulation is different. Excessive soap and suds build up in the machine which is what ultimately will causes the problems. I also use vinegar as a fabric softener and final rinse. commercial or even homemade softeners also tend to create the odors.

If you do laundry almost daily it usually is helpful, otherwise you must leave the door and dispenser open to dry. they do clean well but require a lot of care. I will be switching back to a regular washer soon due to a back flow problem... suds held in the bottom of the machine.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade Laundry Detergent for HE Washers

By Lisa 2 1

Is homemade laundry soap safe for HE washers?

Lisa from Lebanon, IL

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Therese 22 Flag

OK I have to ask. What is an 'HE washer'?

Editor's Note: An HE washer stands for "high efficiency washer". They are typically front loading washers that use much less water than conventional washing machines.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Liquid or Powder Homemade Laundry Soap for Top Loader?

When using homemade laundry soap, should I use liquid or power for he washer? Mine is a Cabrio top loader.

By Debra from Grayling, MI

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Marilyn 1 Flag

Liquid.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Using Homemade Laundry Soap in HE Washer

Is it OK to use homemade soap in the new HE washers?

By Dell

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Kelly B. 1 Flag

I am getting a HE washer this weekend and I have read about 20 articles that say homemade detergents are safe.

Also Carol, homemade detergents are not crap, they are all natural, no dyes or perfumes and people have been using these ingredients for ages.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Homemade HE Laundry Soap

By SHARON 2 6

Is there a homemade washing soap powder that is safe for HE machines?

By Sharon from Sprakers, NY

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By LisaE 23 96 Flag

I am not sure if this answers your question but many people use homeade powdered detergent in their HE machines. However, my opinion is that powdered detergents tend to gunk up machines. I stick to liquid only. Homeade detergents are low sudsing so it works well for HE machines.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: Buying HE Detergents

I can no longer find any detergents marked HE for front loading washers in my grocery stores. Is it no longer made? What do I use in place of it?

By LEP

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Most Recent Answer

By Manuela 7 Flag

They are often kept on the top shelf. In a pinch, you can just use half or one third of a regular detergent.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Question: HE Soap Too Sudsy

I use less than 1 tablespoon HE laundry detergent and I have way too much soap.

By Elfi

AnswerWas this helpful? Yes

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 21, 2013
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
view down into top load washer during wash cycle
Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 7, 2016 at 1:26:20 PM on 10.0.1.137 in 723 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

All ArticlesQuestions
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulMost AnswersFewest AnswersBest AnswersRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings