Browsing: Best Laundry Soap for Front Load Washers

Share a SolutionAsk a Question

Best Laundry Soap for Front Load Washers

There are laundry detergents made especially for front loading washers. Choosing the best one for your machine can improve its overall performance. This is a guide about best laundry soap for front load washers.

Laundry soap on top of a washer.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

April 16, 2007 Flag

I just bought a front load washer. Do we need to use that expensive soap? Can we make our own? Thanks!

By Syber from IA

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Best Answer

You can definitely make your own. The borax and castile detergent is low sudsing. Would work fine in the front loader.

Best Answer

There are many sites for making your own and I have tried 3 of them. Our clothes did not come out as bright so I went back to Tide but I stretch it a little with the homemade soap.

Best Answer

I just use less soap.

Any brand which has HE (high efficiency) on the label. I use Tide HE and it works fine for me.

Read More Answers...

November 29, 2010 Flag

I just got a new front loading washer. Can I use up my old regular detergent by using smaller amounts or will it damage the washer? Thank you.

By Aline from Vero Beach, FL

I have an HE Front Loader. A repairman told me years ago to only use HE Liquid Laundry Detergent as regular detergent soaps up & suds too much. I use 1-2 tbsp of HE Detergent per load with no trouble. I always leave the door cracked open in-between washing, too.

Use only HE laundry detergents on HE front loader washing machines. Using anything else could reduce the life of your machine & could possibly void your warranty. I try to stock up on these detergents when there is a really great sale and have a coupon.

It is sort of like your auto dishwasher, you can't use sink dish detergent in the dishwasher or you can null and void any repairs needing done. Yep, husband grabbed that one time and there were suds and water all over the floor.

Anyway, I have used the HE detergent for my laundry since 1977. That is what my Amway SA8/BioQuest has been all these years. You don't use more than a couple tablespoons and you don't want any sudsing action you can see the bubbles of yesteryear on them.

We use Maytag front loader at our dry cleaning stores. I found that LG front load washer is not the best. BUT, I have found that the following gives me a good and fresh smell to our laundry: 1 Tablespoon of the proper tide (HE) detergent is ample.The odor comes from putting too much detergent in. On towels I add some vinegar too. I wipe down the rubber and put a small sink stopper to keep it open. Also, it really is a must to drain it every month.(A pain!). Our machine is 4 years old. It was rated highly by consumers. I would definitely not recommend it.

Read More Answers...

January 23, 2009 Flag

Can homemade laundry soap be used in the HE washing machines?

Brenda from Carrollton, Texas

"Post by jenifer4000 (1) | (01/23/2009)

Contact

I make and use homemade laundry soap in my HE washer all the time with no problems. It costs me approx. $3.00 a month to do laundr"

Jennifer4000:

If you don't mind my asking, what brand of He washer do you have & how long have you been using the homemade laundry detergent? Thanks very much!

Washer manufacturers recommend that only HE detergents be used in their front-load and high-efficiency washers, and most will even recommend a particular brand of HE detergent.

There is a good reason for using detergent that is specially formulated for these newer front-load washers. HE detergents are concentrated laundry detergents that are low-sudsing especially for use with low water high-efficiency washers.

If regular detergents were to be used in front-loading and high-efficiency washers, the presence of too many suds could 'confuse' washing cycles, cause delays and make proper rinsing of clothes difficult.

Similar to why dish detergent does not work well in a dishwasher which requires specially formulated non-sudsing dishwasher detergent, performance can be severely affected by the use of improper detergents in low water washing machines.

HE detergents can readily be found where regular laundry soap is sold - look for the 'HE' symbol the next time you shop. There is no difference in price for this particular type of detergent, nor is there any reduction in loads per container. Buying in bulk can reap savings and ensure you have it on hand for all your washings.

I've used both Tide® HE and Ultra Sunlight® HE and found they both clean very well. The Tide® brand has a nice mild fragrance and is safe for septic systems, and the Ultra Sunlight® brand sports the HE, Sensitive Skin and Fragrance-Free labels, a real plus for allergy sufferers.

Using proper HE detergent for your high-efficiency low water washer will enable your laundry appliance to perform as it should.

Saving_Nickles_n_dimes: I have a Whirlpool Duet (2005 model) and I've been using homemade laundry soap for six or seven months now.

There is one thing that I do and have done for a year or so. I buy this product at Lowe's called "Affresh" and run one tablet every couple of months to clean out the outer drum of the washing machine. It helps to keep the soap (store bought or homemade) from guncking up the interior of the machine. It keeps the musty smell away.

Homemade laundry detergent does not have any suds because we don't put a 'sudsing agent' in it. Suds do nothing to clean the clothes - it's just a visual thing - when we see suds, we think the soap is working.

Homemade laundry soap is made by grating a bar of Fels Naptha soap, put it into a pot with enough water to cover the soap + about 2". Heat on low to medium until soap is dissolved , stirring occasionally, and add to a 5 gal. bucket of the hottest water from your tap. Stir well & add 1 cup of WASHING soda (found in laundry area of store). Put into gallon jugs (not milk jugs - plastic is too weak). Use 1/2 c. per load. A bar of Ivory soap can be used instead of Fels Naptha. Soap can gel, so shake before using. Works great & comes to about $1.50 for 5 gal! Been using it for years. If you don't have a laundry tub, use the bathtub & clean it out with the spilled stuff after you are done - a 2fer!

Read More Answers...

February 18, 2015 Flag

I can no longer find any detergents marked HE for front loading washers in my grocery stores. Is it no longer made? What do I use in place of it?

By LEP

They are often kept on the top shelf. In a pinch, you can just use half or one third of a regular detergent.

April 23, 2011 Flag

Please, can anyone give me some advice?
I have a brand new HE top loading washing machine being delivered next week and I'm worried if I can use my homemade laundry powder in it.

My recipe is:
1 cup grated laundry soap
1 cup washing soda
1 cup baking soda (I have hard water)
1 cup oxygen-based brightener (like oxy)
I don't use borax since its not available in my country.

I usually use 1/2 cup of powder since my old twin-tub machine had the capacity for 17lb "dry" weight of clothes. This new one has the same capacity. I don't get good results using less powder. This recipe suds up a little, but not too much.

Will I damage my new machine if I use this powder or should I buy the expensive HE laundry powder available?
Liquid detergent is not an option coz I don't like them.
Thanks for any help.

By cettina from Malta, Europe

You will probably shorten the life of your washer by not using the proper detergent. We were told to rid ourselves of regular detergent and purchase the HE type. You might get by a while with your homemade stuff but ultimately you'll have troubles. It might also possibly ruin your warantee

Oh dear! Two replies and each one exactly opposite in opinion from each other!

Still don't know what to do. My new HE washer is a candy CTD1208. the technician who installed my machine told me to be very careful what I use in my washer but didn't say which detergent to use. Any more opinions please?

Cettina, I have a front loader, a GE Duet. My biggest suggestion to you would be to NOT use liquid detergent but you say you never do. :) I use the cheapest HE powdered detergent I can get. I did develop the "stinky clothes" problem you hear about all the time, but it went away as soon as I switched to powdered detergent and stopped using fabric softener. I use less detergent than I used to, maybe half.

In my opinion, I can't see why using your own version would damage the machine. It might not work as well as it did in your top loader but it seems like it would just wash through. You might want to run a "clean washer" setting occasionally, to guard against clogs.

Hopefully, we will get some more opinions from other people who have used their own detergent soon. :)

HE washers are notorious for the buildup of mold and mildew regardless of the brand and have to be cleaned frequently and all instructions followed. the stinky clothes refer to are actually mold or mildew located somewhere within the machine. Use only detergent marked h/e and use as little as possible.

I have used powder and liquid so go with your preference but you should only see minimal suds and that is because the detergent formulation is different. Excessive soap and suds build up in the machine which is what ultimately will causes the problems. I also use vinegar as a fabric softener and final rinse. commercial or even homemade softeners also tend to create the odors.

If you do laundry almost daily it usually is helpful, otherwise you must leave the door and dispenser open to dry. they do clean well but require a lot of care. I will be switching back to a regular washer soon due to a back flow problem... suds held in the bottom of the machine.

Read More Answers...

September 17, 2007 Flag

Is homemade laundry soap safe for HE washers?

Lisa from Lebanon, IL

Hi Neighbor! ;0)

I do not have an HE washer, but I did find these links. The answers do not seem really "clear" -- but it seems like those who have used it have had no issues. Read your manual for sure, and then decide whether you are willing to take a shot at it.

My repair guy who came once annually to look over my machines, when I lived in Maryland, was always full of useful tips and information for taking care of my appliances. If you have a repair person you trust, they might be the best to ask.

http://www.thefamilyhomestead.com/laundrysoap.htm

http://www.thefrugalshopper.com/articles/FAQs.shtml

Yes, it's safe for HE washers. I have been using it for years. Homemade laundry detergent is really soap and doesn't suds at all. It keeps the washer and its lines clean--there is no build-up. If your water is extremely hard, you'll have to use more than the recommended amount.

OK I have to ask. What is an 'HE washer'?

Editor's Note: An HE washer stands for "high efficiency washer". They are typically front loading washers that use much less water than conventional washing machines.

December 12, 2012 Flag

Is it OK to use homemade soap in the new HE washers?

By Dell

I wouldn't risk ruining my new washer with homemade crap. These washers use very very little detergent. If you wash one load per day, a bottle will last about one year. Just cover the bottom of the detergent cap with liquid.

Because these washers clean by using the chemicals in the detergent rather than by using water (for the most part), I doubt VERY much that homemade soap would do the job. They aren't strong enough for that. BTW, I use Clean and Clear detergents for sensitive skin.

Good luck

I am getting a HE washer this weekend and I have read about 20 articles that say homemade detergents are safe.

Also Carol, homemade detergents are not crap, they are all natural, no dyes or perfumes and people have been using these ingredients for ages.

May 7, 2010 Flag

When using homemade laundry soap, should I use liquid or power for he washer? Mine is a Cabrio top loader.

Answer This QuestionMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

February 25, 2011 Flag

Is there a homemade washing soap powder that is safe for HE machines?

Home and Garden Cleaning LaundryAugust 21, 2013
HE Washer
Homemade Laundry Soap for an HE Washer
view down into top load washer during wash cycle
Cleaning a Top Load Washing Machine
Front Loading Washer
Using a Front Loading Washer
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
Windshield Washers Not Spraying
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 20, 2016 at 11:35:58 PM on 10.0.0.69 in 752 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.