Bark Mulch is Molding

I recently put down weed blocker and then covered it with a mixture of small bark wood chip mulch and cocoa shell mulch. There are large areas that look covered in mold. I went to break it up and it "dusted the air". Is this dangerous? The area is dewy in the morning and doesn't get more than 5 hours of direct sunlight, if it's even a sunny day. How can I prevent/remove the moldy areas?

Julie from Redondo Beach, CA

Don't breath the dust from mold. I suggest to spray the mold with bleach, or remove it, and spray the area with bleach. Do this till it goes away. Good luck.

While bleach would certainly kill the mold, it would also kill everything else around, and make you just as sick as the mildew growing on this mulch. Most likely it is not a harmful mold, very few are. I'd try spraying a little vinegar on the top layer, and once it's dry, spread the mulch out. Sun should do the trick as well.

Home and Garden Gardening AdviceDecember 9, 2008
Dog Barking
Training Dog to Not Bark at Other Dogs
Installing Crown Molding, Crown Molding Ready to be Installed
Installing Crown Molding
Almond Bark
Storing Almond Bark
Picture of garden mulch.
Getting Rid of Mold on Mulch
🎄
🍂