Remedy for Ingrown Toenails

What do you do to get rid of an ingrown toenail? I don't want to go to the doctor as I know it will be expensive.

By Jeanette B.

If the pain isn't too sever yet, lift the edge of the toenail and insert something firm yet pliable. I have used a match book match, cut down after it's inserted. It's too hard to get under if you cut it down to 1/16" before hand. Once the nail is raised, use some Mercuroclear (Mercurochrome's replacement) to cleanse, and anesthetize the infected area. This always works for me. Also, don't cut the nail in a curve, always straight across. This helps a lot.

Good luck.

My girlfriend has ingrown toenails & she gets them taken care of by having a pedicure.

This is an addition to the good advice given by "Poor But Proud" (lifting the ingrown part) but instead of cutting straight, cut with a "V" shape in the middle. Nails have the tendency to grow towards the empty area. Thsi was advice from my doctor years ago and has worked well for me and friends.