Snakes in House

By Tammy 1

I saw a snake go under my refrigerator, then under the stove; animal control could not find it. How can I get it out of the house? I'm scared!

By Tammy from Sacramento, CA

Filter Sort

By Melanie Jackson 1 373 Flag

First, make sure it's not poisonous. Poisonous snakes will usually have a triangular head, shaped that way by the venom glands. If it's a rattlesnake, it's definitely poisonous. Chances are that it's just a garter snake, in which case you're safe. If the animal control people are too lazy or stupid to get the snake(s) out, call an exterminator. They'll be able to either find the snake, or help you trap it for easy removal.

Snakes are actually beneficial, again, as long as they're not of a species that can hurt humans. We have garter snakes on our property, and one even managed to get into our mud room. I caulked the place where it got in, and we haven't had a problem since. If a snake is getting in, you've got a big leak somewhere in your house, that needs to be filled up.

For now, definitely call an exterminator. :)

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Paula 6 Flag

If it isn't a garter snake it is probably a small black rat snake. They are not poisonous. You could bait it by getting a live mouse and put it in a small clear container where the snake can see it. That might lure the snake out and you could catch it then. Just wear some heavy garden gloves and quickly grab it close behind the head. Generally snakes with oval heads are not poisonous. If your snake has a triangular head (looks like big jaws) you could call the local zoo and ask for suggestions from their reptile expert. You might also consider leaving the house for a few days if it is poisonous.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Anne 11 Flag

Hi Tammy,

Snakes are attracted to milk, or at least I have caught one this way! I remember as a child in my third grade Reader there was a story called, "The Drover's Wife" who was left at home when her husband went droving in the Outback; she had to contend with a venomous snake and captured it using a saucer of milk. This happened to me quite a few years ago and my dad's friend said it was not an old wives tale. So I tried it and the snake did come out to drink the milk. I was able to capture it and ring the Fisheries & Wildlife man and he came and picked it up! I guess the snakes in America will do the same!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Carol Swanson 36 226 Flag

I recently put out mouse traps in my garage for the field mice that come in this time of year. I couldn't help but notice that the directions said they could be used to catch snakes, too. They are sticky and have bait on the glue part. They come flat, which I think would be good for catching a snake. But they can be folded into a box like shape to hold the mouse so you don't need to look at it. I may have purchased these traps at the grocery store, Walmart, or Dollar Tree. I'm sorry I cannot remember the brand name.

Also, I have had good luck with moth balls for repelling the garter snakes that like to have babies where my sidewalk meets the foundation of the house. It's very near the doorway and I've had baby snakes hanging all over the storm door sometimes. I put out the mothballs this year and I have seen them but they don't stay. They like to hibernate there, too, I think. A man from Australia once sold me an expensive product, but after he told me that snakes don't like odors, I came up with the moth ball idea. I also sometimes use ammonia poured in the crack, but that evaporates quickly.

Good luck. I've had snakes in my house before and I don't like it either! I don't care if they are garter snakes, they don't belong inside the house!

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

By Raymond H. 1 Flag

I suggest you do a http://www.snakehandlingcourses.com.au "reptile handling course" so that you will know which ones are safe and which are not and how to remove them if need be.

All the best

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes

Comment

Archive: Snakes in House

Once again I've found I have unwelcome guests in my house. My 5 year old found a rather long black snake in our upstairs bathroom yesterday. He was killed and taken outside, but I am wondering if anyone has any ideas for snake repellent.

I'm not sure how he got in; am thinking he crawled up the propane pipe and came out the furnace in the bathroom, but he could have crawled up the sink pipes too. We tried to stuff steel wool around these pipes, but I still don't feel really secure that no more snakes will come in. Any suggestions would be welcomed.

Thanks,
Donna in Kansas

Feedback:

RE: Snakes in House

I've read that buying powdered sulfur and sprinkling it around your house deters them. Also, if you think you know where they come in at, place a few moth balls around in that area. They don't like the smell of those. Good luck. (08/18/2004)

By Denise

RE: Snakes in House

Donna, I have had tremendous luck with keeping all types of vermin out of my house by having two house cats. My grandfather always kept dozens of wild felines in his barns because snakes won't come around them. Of course, some people might consider cats to be vermin. (08/19/2004)

By Jonid

RE: Snakes in House

The snakes are after the mice, you will need to get rid of your mice (easier said than done). We sometimes have had snakes in our walls and I don't mind so much knowing they are mouse hunting. However, like you, I did object after finding a snake in my bathtub.

Also, plug up all the holes you can find, the steel wool works well at keeping mice out so probably will keep the snakes out, too. After we insulated some eave spaces our snake visitors declined in numbers. (08/25/2004)

RE: Snakes in House

Snakes are after food and shelter, so if you get rid of the food and plug up your holes you should be fine. I had a problem with copperheads in yard, but after spraying for insects and cleaning up all the leaves and junk around the house I have not had any problems. (10/02/2005)

By Miguel

RE: Snakes in House

One more thing is possible - Have you checked to make sure you don't have a hole in the dryer hose leading to the outdoors? They tend to get in that way, too. Sorry, don't have any additional repelling advice.
(10/03/2005)

By lillseester

RE: Snakes in House

http://www.research.ku.edu/explore/v1n2/snakes.html This is a good article about finding snakes in your house. Killing, capturing and keeping a wild snake in Kansas is illegal as well as in a lot of other states. (06/29/2006)

By Jo in KS

Snakes alive

I have found a nest of cobras under my house. They have crawled up through the pipes and swallowed my cats and dogs. This morning my wife was missing. I feel I may be next...any help appreciated.

Editor's Note: We are pretty sure this is a joke but decided to post it anyway. (07/12/2007)

By JackSkellington

Archive: Snakes in House

What product can I use to kill a snake in my house without harming my kids or pets? I know it's in here, because I found its skin.

By ifly8251 from MD

Feedback:

RE: Snakes in House

I know it smells, but put mothballs out. Throw them around outside too. (05/18/2009)

By sissy7575

RE: Snakes in House

I wouldn't recommend moth balls especially indoors. They are pretty nasty stuff, not safe around kids or pets (or adults) and haven't really been shown to work. purdue.edu

There is info in the article here: aaanimalcontrol.com

Or check out the "related info" links below your question to the right for other info. Don't know what type of snakes you have in your area but would err on the side of safety.

I would probably hire a professional or call the local animal control or county extension office perhaps. Glue boards were suggested in one article. Also find whatever holes or however it got into your house and fix that to prevent future "visits".

Good luck to you. Snakes aren't what freaks me out, but if I had one in the house I probably would be. (05/19/2009)

By Kaelle

RE: Snakes in House

What a nightmare. If you call the dog officer in town, he could offer suggestions and may have the "Have a Heart" traps that you could try. Cats also seem to work. Good luck. (05/22/2009)

By mulberry204

RE: Snakes in House

You can take an egg and puncture a small hole in both ends big enough to blow out the contents of the egg. When empty fill the egg with salt and put tape on the ends so it won't come out. Place it where you think the snake will find it and let it eat it. It will bust in the snakes belly and the salt will kill it. You can also buy snake repellent at stores. Tractor Supply has it and also our local hardware. You have to be sure that all snakes are out of your yard when you use it because if one is on the inside it can't get out. Hope this helps.

grannygirl (05/22/2009)

By grannygirl

RE: Snakes in House

The snakes are in your house looking for rodents. Get a humane, no kill trap from your local animal shelter, catch it and they will remove it for you. Also put some mouse traps around to catch the rodents. They are probably in your house without you even knowing it. Then check your exterior very carefully for entrance points. They can get in through the smallest hole or crack. Plug up the holes and cracks with whatever your local exterminator recommends for your area, and you will have no more snake or rodent problems. (05/25/2009)

By catastrofy

Archive: Snakes in House

I have found information on keeping snakes away, but now I need to know how to remove them from your home. My son found a snake skin in my closet last night and now I am afraid to find the snake in the house.

By MotherT65 from Woodstock, VA

Feedback:

RE: Snakes in House

If you found the skin, the snake has probably shed and returned to the outside, especially this time of year. He will be looking for food (and snakes of the opposite sex). Unless you have a food source inside, ie. mice, frogs, lizards, etc., what you should be looking for is how he got into the house. Snakes can come inside through a small opening. A gap around the dryer vent, a garage door that doesn't close all the way, a missing screen on the crawlspace vents. Just make sure that any areas where the snake can gain entrance are sealed and he won't be able to return. (09/02/2009)

By readingiggits

RE: Snakes in House

We had to call a plumber some time back and he told us when we called him to get mothballs and throw under the house two days before he came out. I thought by that he should know what he is talking about. I know that mothballs smell awful, but when it comes to snakes I could put up with the smell more than I could put up with a snake being in my house. (09/02/2009)

By Barbie62

Archive: Snakes in House

I live in an apartment on the second floor. I have found small oval eggs in the windows, and upon packing to move, have found what appears to be snake skins (shed, dead, dried up). I have also heard what sounds like snakes moving around the boxes that were packed.

I, of course, have not seen any snakes. What type of snake might this be? We are in Miami, Florida and there are never any windows or doors left open.

By Vada from Miami, FL

Feedback:

RE: Snakes in House

The best way to get snakes out of your house is to leave the snake alone, then get away from the snake and call someone who knows how to identify, catch, and handle snakes. Usually they can be found by doing a search for state wildlife, reptiles or reptile farms, herpetologists or zoos. If you try to kill the snake and miss, a snake can move at 30 MPH and can outrun a human or a pet and all snakes can bite. How do you keep snakes away? Get rid of their food supply, usually mice/rats, frogs, lizards, and insects etc., so it is almost impossible to do and even doing it this way it can take several months to work.

Cats catch mice/rats/birds etc. but sometimes they like to bring their dinner home instead of eating it. Sticky traps only make it harder to remove a snake because the trap sticks to everything else too. Have-a-heart traps are great for mice/rats etc. but they won't work with snakes. In most states you have to have a license to keep a poisonous snake and have to build a special cage to keep a poisonous snake in first. If you find a snake skin in your house most likely you either have or had a snake in your house at some point in time. And if you don't know how to catch a snake, call or contact someone that does.
(04/04/2010)

By Bill2010

RE: Snakes in House

A lot of people keep and sometimes breed snakes as a hobby. But it could still be a wild snake that got in the house somehow. I found a snake skin under a bath tub and later I found the snake outside. (04/04/2010)

By Bill2010

RE: Snakes in House

It's a black racer and harmless, don't worry. Just common in Florida, but you probably want to get your dad to look for it where you hear it, then let it go. It's the best way. WARNING: They still have teeth. (04/20/2010)

By grin123

RE: Snakes in House

How large are the eggs? Have you considered that it may be a common green lizard? They lay eggs and really like to leave them in houseplants or windows that are sunny. Lizard eggs are usually about the size of a small jelly bean. Good Luck! (04/23/2010)

By esptechy

Archive: Snakes in House

If a snake gets in your basement, will it go back out or get into your house?

By Barbara from VA

Feedback:

RE: Snakes in House

The snake is looking for food. Depending on the size and species of snake this may be insects or mice. When the food is gone, the snake will leave. Mice will leave if they smell the snake. Either way you win. (08/24/2010)

By Chloelizabeth

RE: Snakes in House

I don't know how you will get them out. But when you do, throw lime in your basement. Snakes don't like to cross it as it burns their belly. When I was young, lime was used for this purpose. (09/09/2010)

By Windgate

Snake coiled in an evergreen tree.
Getting Rid of Snakes
Home and Garden Pest Control SnakesOctober 22, 2010
ThriftyFun on Facebook ThriftyFun on Pinterest Enter a Contest Free Newsletters Ask a Question Share a Post
Florida pine snake
Identifying Florida Snakes
A Non-Poisonous Garter Snake.
Identifying Non-Poisonous Snakes
A garter snake in grass.
Getting Rid of Garter Snakes
Snake coiled in an evergreen tree.
Getting Rid of Snakes
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on February 8, 2016 at 2:07:44 PM on 10.0.2.139 in 2 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.

AnswersArchives
NewestOldestMost HelpfulLeast HelpfulRelevance
Site MenuShare a PostContestsAsk a QuestionAbout ThriftyFun
BrowseAll By DateAll GuidesAll QuestionsAll VideosRecent FeedbackLonely Questions
CategoriesBetter LivingBudget & FinanceBusiness & LegalConsumer AdviceCraftsEducationEntertainmentFood & RecipesGarage SalesHealth & BeautyHolidays & PartiesHome & GardenMake Your OwnOrganizingParentingPetsTravel & RecreationWeddings