Browsing: Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home

How to Rid the Yard of Parvo, Can You Get It More Than Once?

How do you treat your lawn for Parvo from a puppy.

By Paulette from Lakewood, WA

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

Definitely consult a vet on this one. Parvo is very life threatening and not worth taking any chances whatsoever!

June 14, 2010 Flag

We had 3 puppies get parvo about 4 months ago. They all died; what do I need to do to my yard to make it safe for a new puppy?

By Angeia from Gridley, CA

Answers:

If you are on a budget, you can give parvo shots yourself to new puppies. Go to feed store and buy shot and ask for a syringe. Comes with instructions. Never wait on the shot. I had a pup die of parvo once and I never want to experience that again. If you are even thinking of a pup make arrangements for the shot before you bring them home, whether by yourself or through a vet.

However, I'd talk to the vet and ask for advice. It's a terrible virus, and I'm not sure what to do. But the shot preparations must be done before any dog is brought home. (11/11/2009)

By PIKKA

Read the archived link below because there are lots of answers. I've also heard that another puppy/dog should not be brought in the home or yard for at least six months after a parvo outbreak even after thorough cleanup. Be sure to sanitize inside your home, too! I am sorry you lost your puppies. (11/16/2009)

By Deeli

I've had my bouts with Parvo as well. Terrible disease that kills in 24 hrs. My vet advised me that no new dog should be brought into a yard where an infected dog has been for at least two years. And all indoor housing (your house and dog houses) should be treated with bleach, the only thing that kills the virus. This also brings to mind another reason I am against invisible fencing. Animals with a variety of contagious diseases could more easily enter your yard. I hope this helps.

Susan (11/18/2009)

By SWG

Several people have said that bleaching your yard should get rid of the virus however, there is no sure fire way to be sure the virus is gone. The best thing to do is follow your vet's advice. The vet I worked for advised waiting one to two years before getting a new puppy. Also, the vaccinations are only completely effective after the whole series has been given. One shot doesn't do the trick. Good luck. (11/18/2009)

By renee5774

November 10, 2009 Flag

I have had three dogs get sick at the same time. My husband and I took them to the vet to find out that they had parvo. He gave us medication to give them. We were giving Oober, Bones, and Benny medication around the clock. Only one made it and that was Benny. Can he later on down the road get the disease again? And how do you get it out our yard?

Mindy

Answers:

Getting Rid Of Parvo

I read the article about Parvo and Dogs and just had to throw my two cents worth in. I lost a whole litter of cocker pups and it broke my heart. Heat does not kill it and freezing does not kill it, but bleach does. But it will kill your grass. But to me it is worth the effort and no grass to keep my dogs safe.

Take a garden sprayer fill it with half water and half bleach and spray all over the kennel or yard the infected animals were in. Especially the spot where they liked to go potty as this is how the germs are spread.

Wash all bedding, bowls, leashes, and collars with bleach and hot water. You also should wear old tennies out in the yard when spraying and pitch them when you are through. Also do not spray unless you are assured of a couple of days of sunshine as if it rains you will have to reapply.

I too agree that prevention is the best medicine and you can get Parvo shots through Omaha Vaccine for about 3-4 dollars. They have complete directions on how to give the shot yourself. Our vet charges like 50 dollars to give the shot so this saves me and protects my dogs. Omaha Vaccine has a catalog that you can order for free on the internet though they do not have an online catalog. Ask them to send the Pet Catalog. You can also get cat vaccines through them. I wish you all a happy and healthy dog.

By Debra in Colorado (04/23/2005)

By ThriftyFun

There are several parvo disinfectants on the market, but regular bleach is still 100% effective and much less costly. The dilution is one part of chlorine bleach to 30 parts of water. Remember: bleach will remove color from dyed fabrics or objects, so the commercial disinfectants have that advantage.

<p.Straight bleach does not work as well, my vet has said. My pup has it now and is doing well. Prayers are appreciated. (11/08/2005)

By Danielle

I agree with vaccinations 100%. Bleach may work, but can have corroding affects on most items, and the vapors are harmful to pets. I am a Shaklee Distributor, and I use a product called Basic G (Germicide.) It is clinically shown to kill canine parvovirus and feline leukemia virus, and the germicide lasts much longer than the bleach. Here is a weblink: shaklee.net and click on Home Care. You can read the label, and I can help you find the research. (06/09/2006)

By camo_angels

Parvovirus is very hardy and will winter-over in a yard even through a hard freeze. The only way to kill it is bleach. Bleach everything, even spray the grass. Some kennels will not place a dog for up to two years after a parvo outbreak in a home.

Always get the parvo shot for your dog, but know that it is not always 100%. Older, vaccinated dogs have been known to get parvo. If you even suspect parvo get the dog to a vet. Good luck. It is such a killer. (07/12/2006)

By Vicka

We are currently treating our puppy for parvo. The vet told us to do our whole yard in a 10% bleach solution. The same solution has been used to treat my entire house. It has not stained or bleached any of the furniture. I wish all of you luck. Our puppy is well on her way to survival. (03/27/2009)

By tabs810

Puppy Running in Yard
Getting Rid of Parvo Virus in the Yard and Home
Pets Dogs HealthJune 14, 2010
dog with parvo
Information About Parvo
A dog being seen by a veterinarian.
Can a Dog Get Parvo Again?
Mole Digging Out of Hole into Open Air
Getting Rid of Moles in Your Yard
Puppy Smelling Flower
Getting a Puppy After Losing One to Parvo
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on July 21, 2016 at 1:05:37 PM on 10.0.0.111 in 755 msecs. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.