Organizing Your Pantry With Recycled Containers

I save my mayonnaise jars, coffee cans (Folgers), and my catsup bottles for re-use again. I keep uncooked rice, dried beans, macaroni and graham crackers in the clear mayonnaise jars. I use the large coffee cans for dried beans, peas, and other items like spaghetti and noodles. The catsup bottles are used to put catsup back into. I buy at Smart and Final and the large cans fills up 5 of the catsup bottles for me. I place the rice into my freezer before putting it on the shelf because the rice sometimes has bugs and by freezing, it assures that the bugs will not hatch, if any are there.

By Louise from Cibola, AZ

Top Comment

Because I use about three different types of flours, (sr,ap and spelt) and three types of sugar (cane, beet, and splenda) I need a lot of jars. Last year I found 8 1/2 gal canning jars for a dollar each. I use those to put the different things in. Then I also use those large pickle jars, which I got from the high school concession stand I worked at. I will paint the tops of them this summer to match the cabinets which are country blue.

Top Comment

I re-use glass jars for food storage but hesitate with most plastics as they were not meant to be reused....just for one time use and that means the plastic is not safe. I always have plenty of glass jars to be reused and then there's no worry about them and I know they can break but I never seem to break any glass containers.

Canning jars are also very good to keep pastas, rice, macaroni, dried beans, etc in and they keep the food fresh. I got a hold of a dozen 1/2 gal size of Ball canning jars and they are just wonderful in my pantry for those types of things. I can see what's in them as well. Just be careful with using plastics for food storage unless it has the right recycle # on the bottom.

Great ideas. I also save my glass jars from spaghetti sauce, apple sauce, etc, and store dry goods like candy in them. It organizes things and looks pretty at the same time!

awesome!! how do u get the smell of the pickles n other stuff out of the jars, tho? thanx.

dru

To get the smell out I just wash them really well and let them sit around without the lids on for a while with baking soda and vinegar in them.

Are you serious, there is bugs in rice? I knew about flour so I do store that in the fridge, but rice - wow. Guess I will need to do the same with the rice. Thank you for the great tip.

How long do you have to freeze the rice in order to kill the eggs?

Cans of Food in a Pantry
Organizing Your Pantry
Organizing KitchenMay 8, 2008
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Uses for Lipstick Containers
Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Uses for Disinfectant Wipe Containers
Preventing Pantry Pests
Preventing Pantry Pests
Stocking a Basic Pantry
Stocking a Basic Pantry
🎄