Uses for Bread Heels and Crusts

Category Bread
Besides feeding the birds, there are great ways to make use of the whole loaf of bread. This guide is about uses for bread heels.

I have three males in the house, so sandwiches are a staple. I always ended up with several almost empty bags of bread with only the end crusts left in them. They will not use them for sandwiches. I got smart and decided to stop wasting them. Now I save them in a Ziploc baggie for about a week to get 6 pieces or so. I then toast them and then use my mini food processor to make them into bread crumbs which

I can flavor them any way I want. I mix the breadcrumbs with a little butter toast them in a pan, then remove from heat add a few sprinkles of Parmesan cheese and top broiled tomatoes, or cooked cauliflower. I can also season the breadcrumbs with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano to coat boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the seasoned breadcrumbs and bake.

This is a great way to not waste, save money by not buying breadcrumbs, and be healthier because my fresh whole grain bread crumbs have more fiber than store bought, and no preservatives!

By Cheryl from Smithsburg, MD

Top Comment

I have always saved my crusts to make dressing/stuffing (whichever your family calls the stuff you eat with turkey!)...but your idea is even better!

God Bless,

Sheila in Decatur, IL

We use the ends of bread (heels/left over pieces) for bread pudding. We put the 'leftovers' back into a bread bag and refreeze them. After thawing them for the second time they are already a little 'dry' and perfect for bread pudding.

By CarrieLyne

You could make bread crumbs or croutons with them also. Butter the slices, season to taste with garlic powder or other spices. Place slices on cookie sheet in oven on 250 degrees. After toasting this way, crumble them up and store in zip top bags for use on salads, or in recipes.