Uses for Bread Heels and Crusts

Besides feeding the birds, there are great ways to make use of the whole loaf of bread. This guide is about uses for bread heels.

December 5, 2008 Flag

I have three males in the house, so sandwiches are a staple. I always ended up with several almost empty bags of bread with only the end crusts left in them. They will not use them for sandwiches. I got smart and decided to stop wasting them. Now I save them in a Ziploc baggie for about a week to get 6 pieces or so. I then toast them and then use my mini food processor to make them into bread crumbs which

I can flavor them any way I want. I mix the breadcrumbs with a little butter toast them in a pan, then remove from heat add a few sprinkles of Parmesan cheese and top broiled tomatoes, or cooked cauliflower. I can also season the breadcrumbs with garlic powder, salt, pepper, and oregano to coat boneless, skinless chicken breasts with the seasoned breadcrumbs and bake.

This is a great way to not waste, save money by not buying breadcrumbs, and be healthier because my fresh whole grain bread crumbs have more fiber than store bought, and no preservatives!

By Cheryl from Smithsburg, MD

Top Comment

I have always saved my crusts to make dressing/stuffing (whichever your family calls the stuff you eat with turkey!)...but your idea is even better!

God Bless,

Sheila in Decatur, IL

Top Comment

I do this too and use it for making meatloaf and meatballs which I bake in the oven.

May 20, 2009 Flag

We use the ends of bread (heels/left over pieces) for bread pudding. We put the 'leftovers' back into a bread bag and refreeze them. After thawing them for the second time they are already a little 'dry' and perfect for bread pudding.

By CarrieLyne

You could make bread crumbs or croutons with them also. Butter the slices, season to taste with garlic powder or other spices. Place slices on cookie sheet in oven on 250 degrees. After toasting this way, crumble them up and store in zip top bags for use on salads, or in recipes.

I make bread sticks from ours when we have spaghetti. I butter the slice, sprinkle w/garlic powder, slice into strips and toast in the oven.

My husband loves bread pudding so I'll try this, too.

Food and Recipes Food Tips BreadApril 3, 2013
Gluten free bread in a bread machine.
Gluten Free Bread Machine Recipes
Moldy bread.
Preventing Mold on Bread
Recipes Using Stale Bread, Slice of Bread on Cutting Board
Recipes Using Stale Bread
Sliced banana bread on a cutting board.
Freezing Banana Bread