FlooringHome Improvement

Durable Hardwood Flooring

I need your expertise here on hardwood flooring. We are going to be building a new home and I need to know which is the best color and most durable hardwood floor we can get. I want a color that doesn't show every foot print, every speck of dirt and dust shortly after it's cleaned. We built the house we are currently living in and we made a big mistake by putting in cherry hardwood flooring in 1800 square feet of this home. It is a nightmare. I no sooner wash it and there is foot prints and dust visible 5 minutes later. I have given up. Not only that it isn't very durable at all if you have children. Please advise me on what floor to get in our next home as I don't want to live this nightmare again. Thanks in advance.

Connie from Brantford, ON

Anonymous

We've had oak hardwood and bamboo. Bamboo looks great, but wears more like cherry.

Oak, I believe, is the most durable.

Also, to save your sanity, invest in a Swiffer (Costco sells inexpensive refills and often offers coupons for the starter set and refills) to sweep up dust, etc.

And try cleaning your floor with a cleaner made specifically for wood floors. It makes a difference!

Good luck!

My husband installed top of the line Armstrong in the oak planks. we choose that one for durability and I'M NOT IMPRESSED. I love the color and the ease of cleaning but it appears to be quite soft and it dents easily. We bought the thickest one and we will have to refinish eventually even with having no children in the house and we never wear our shoes inside. It's only a year old and I'm sure nobody sees the dents but me. Good luck

Ballrooms and bowling alleys use solid maple so it must be durable. Light colored, too. Dust and footprints won't show so much.

Thanks all, this is some good info & I hope more post on what to get & what not to get. Perfumed fan, wow, I never thought of that. I hope someone posts who has maple in their home. I'm definatley going to research the maple floors.

No matter what you do, don't get laminate floors. They don't stay clean, can't get a shine and God forbid a pet pees and you don't notice the puddle for over 1/2 hour. These floor planks are basically contact paper on top of pressed wood. And that is the Pergo brand too!