Dog Urine Stains and Smell Off Furniture

I had a large dog that leaked urine when she slept on the couch. How do I remove that smell?

By Glory from Franklin Lakes, NJ

In general, baking soda works really well as a deodorant. In the past when something smelly has happened to my couch, I sprinkle baking soda on it, leave it for a couple of hours, then vacuum it up.

I bought SCOE 10X on the internet from BioFog. I haven't uaed it yet, but all the reviews were great.It isn't cheap but is a concentrate and one bottle makes many. I believe it has a money back policy if not happy. It's cheaper than a new couch.

If the urine has turned the wood black you may not be able to get the black out. You could try sanding it down to see how far the wood has turned black. The process of "fuming with ammonia" was used in mission style furniture to darken the wood. The ammonia reacts with the tannins in the wood and turns it dark. The same thing happens when the dog urine breaks down into ammonia.

You could fume with ammonia to get the rest of the wood the same color. I think it is as easy as putting the furniture in a large plastic enclosure or some other enclosure and putting a pan of ammonia in with it.

To get rid of any urine smell on the furniture you need to use a bacterial product like Natures Miracle or Ridex. Apply it and cover with plastic for a few days. It needs to stay moist for the bacteria to break down the organic matter in the urine.

I just learned and have tried this for urine stains on wood floors. Use peroxide. Wet the area with peroxide and let it dry over night. As the peroxide dries the floor lightens. We had to do it for 3 days to get the right coloring. Good luck

July 2, 2012 Flag

How do I remove old dog urine buildup from hardwood furniture? The urine is so thick I could use a scraper, but would damage the wood.

By Mark from Whidbey Island

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Personally I would throw the furniture out.

Grey Cat Sitting on Blue Chair
Removing Pet Urine Smell from Furniture
Pets Pet StainsJune 1, 2010
A kitten sitting on a wood floor.
Cleaning Cat Urine Smell on Hardwood Floors
big cat in a car
Removing Cat Urine Smell From Car Interior
Dog Urinating Outdoors
Homemade Cleaner for Pet Urine Odors
Cleaning Urine Off Grout
Cleaning Urine Off Grout