Peel Potatoes With Your Microwave

All you need to do is to wash the potatoes, pierce them with a fork in several places, microwave for 10 minutes in a bowl of water and then let cool. The skins will become wrinkled and you can then pull the skins right off under cold water. Your potatoes are now ready for cooking.

By Carolyn from E Northport NY

This is definitely something I must try! I do think peeling potatoes is a pain but atleast I use a vegetable peeler. My mother doesn't even own one nor does she use a cutting board. She peels potatoes and other veggies with just a knife, holding the vegetable in her hand. That's how she learned and that's all she knows. After she peels a potato, she then cuts it with the knife while holding it and doesn't use a cutting board. I know I'd cut myself for sure if I did that way!

I'm gonna be making some clam chowder tonight and I think I'll try this method when I do the potatoes.

Depending on how many potatoes you microwave, 10 minutes will be too long. With today's high powered microwaves, 1-2 potatoes would actually be close to being overcooked at 10 minutes. I know from experience. Also once having done 5 potatoes at 8 minutes, close to being done. After cooling, peeling, and then recooking doesn't make for good potatoes. Actually, 1-2 potatoes pierced & wrapped in damp paper towels and microwaved on high for 8-10 minutes makes for a good baked potato, with or without skin.

Rick,

Grasston, MN

I love this tip. Thank you so much.

I would like to know the details, like how many potatoes. 1 or 2 for 10 minutes would be completely cooked and hard as a rock. I know from experience!

I don't mean to insult you Carolyn but is that an error to cook the potatoes for 10 minutes? When I put 2 large potatoes in the microwave I normally cook them for about 8 minutes & they are done & ready to eat. Did you maybe mean 1 minute?

I wrote to Carolyn and here's what she said:

Last night I did it again and here is how I did it.

I put 6 large size potatoes in a big bowl filled with COLD water.

The time was exactly 10 minutes. I waited till the water cooled down and then rinsed the potatoes and then peeled off the skins.

My microwave is a very high temperature and the potatoes do not cook as the water does not boil.

After peeling the potatoes, I cubes them and boiled them for mashed potatoes.

Timing in microwave can be adjusted for less potatoes, but, I still do it for 10 minutes and so far, have not had any problems.

Sorry for the confusion on this. I probably should have explained the procedure better. I usually check the comments and this time I did not as I have been quite busy.

I have been doing my potatoes like this for months now and it works for me.

Carolyn

I think the confusion was the bowl of water. That isn't in the original post. I'll add it.

Peeling Potatoes
Peeling Potatoes
Food and Recipes Food Tips Time SaversApril 25, 2007
Freezing Potatoes, Potatoes on white background
Freezing Potatoes
A carved turkey breast.
Cooking a Turkey Breast in the Microwave
Two avocados, one cut in half with the seed inside.
Peeling an Avocado
microwave
Microwave Peanut Brittle Recipes
🎄