Buttermilk Scones

• 1 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
  • 2 Tbsp. sugar
  • 1 1/4 tsp. baking powder
  • 1/4 tsp. baking soda
  • 1/2 tsp. salt
  • 6 Tbsp. cold butter (3/4 of a stick), cut into small pieces
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup buttermilk
  • 2 Tbsp. sweet milk

Sift together flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, and salt into a large mixing bowl. Add butter pieces to dry ingredients. Using a pastry blender or two dinner knives, cut butter into flour until the mixture takes on the size of small peas. Make a well in the center of mixture. Pour buttermilk into the well. Using a fork, pull the mixture into the buttermilk to form a soft dough.

Turn out dough onto a floured surface. Knead gently. Cut into shapes using biscuit cutter or heart-shaped cookie cutter. Brush tops with sweet milk and bake at 425 degrees F for 12 minutes or until lightly browned.

Yield: 8 scones, approx. 2 1/2 inches in diameter. Recipe can be doubled.

• Sprinkle tops with cinnamon sugar after brushing with milk
  • Add 1/2 tsp grated orange peel to dry ingredients.
  • Add 6 Tbsp. currants to dry ingredients.

By Jodi from Aurora, CO

Jodi, This is the recipe I use for making hot biscuits. I double of triple it depending on "Who's coming to dinner" although having leftover biscuits is always good. Split and buttered, then toasted in a heavy skillet makes the best "go with" for soup or salad I can think of.

This is a great recipe, and if you double the sugar called for, you have delicious shortcake for strawberries or fresh peaches.

And now, you've made me hungry. There are 2 pints of fresh strawberries in the fridge that are calling me to the kitchen.

Thank you.

Yummmm! I was thinking too that if I omit the sugar, they might be suitable as a savory buttermilk biscuit.

Food and Recipes Recipes Baking & Desserts BreadsApril 4, 2011
Buttermilk in a metal cup.
Homemade Buttermilk Recipes
buttermilk substitute in a bowl
Substitute for Buttermilk in Recipes
Buttermilk Chicken
Buttermilk Chicken Recipes
Scone on a plate with tea cup and saucer off to upper right.
Scones Recipes