Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

There are many ways to get rid of fleas from you pet, home and yard. Avoid the toxic and expensive chemicals at the pet store and try a non-toxic home remedy. This is a guide about using brewer's yeast for fleas.

May 26, 2009 Flag

A tip for keeping fleas away from your cats and dogs. Simply put a teaspoon of powdered brewer's yeast into their food. You can also dissolve 1/4 cup brewer's yeast into 1 quart of water. Place in spray bottle and spray pet, combing into fur as you do.

By lilangel1958 from TN

Just a note of warning:

I have been at the vet for yeast problems for my two german shepherds.....one has skin and internal yeast problems, and the other had such a bad ear infection from yeast tablets, etc that it got extremely ill. Yeast is a nasty culprit with doggies and they dont really need it on them or in them. I would also remind you all that Frontline has stopped working for a number of people's animals and we all now use advantage topical for fleas.

Comfortis pill did nothing for our german shepherd.

Salt sprinkled everywhere, will deter fleas, and there are a lot of wonderful results with baking soda.

I have read to cut up a flea collar and put in in the vaccuum bag or cup, and over the end with a baggie and a rubber band when not in use.

I have seen on earthclinic.com where garlic is not in the same groups as onions and other things that are bad for dogs...

Chocolate, grapes, brocolli and many other foods are bad for dogs....

The best foods are dog foods with meat and not meat by products as the first ingredients.

If the meat is not there, give them chicken every so often to supplement them. Fish oil pills are great for skin conditions.

Fleas hate vaccuuming and brushing the dog daily and going over with a fllea comb and dumping it in hot soapy water, is a great way to check the population of fleas on your pet.

Check earthclinic.com under the pets tab and see what other people do, disregard the brewers yeast capsules. I can tell you right now they are bad for the dog, and my poor Shepherd is on 4 pills a day and a weekly anti yeast bath to combat that same thing: Yeast.

If you have several medium sized dogs, weigh them both and see what the total is, then buy one advantage tube for the total weight and split it on them. This saves money.

Dont forget how it is great to mop with apple cider vinegar, and to go over the coat with a rag with cool water all the time, it cleans the skin and feels sooo good, in between baths!

Blessings,

Robyn

TO lilangel 1958 You say 1 teaspoon in food. We need the ratio. How much food per teaspoon??

I am reading all these replies and everyone is told something by their vets. Or they read something.

I use garlic granules on my dogs raw meat. It is a strong medicine and it is stronger than regular garlic. Keeps fleas and her healthy.

Chocolate they say is toxic. Is it true? I used to give chocolate ice cream to my dogs and they were fine. They did not drop dead. Now my golden is more sensitive so I will not try it with her.

Brewer's Yeast is pretty much not good for anything. I know they stick it in food but its not what wild animals normally eat. Anything that is man made or is not in the wild is not for animals.

Now because of the continous breeding they may need things that they shouldn't be introduced to because of all our toxins out in the world. Can we protect them from it. Not everything even we can't protect ourselves from pesticides etc. It travels about a mile and the wind blows it into your home if you have your windows open.

So best to do is using things to build up immune system. To make it stronger.

Last time I read this the poster never clarified some information. The post says 1 t. in food for cats and dogs. Cats and dogs vary in size so 1 t. cannot be right for them all. We also need to know often to give this.

October 13, 2011 Flag

Each day I give each of my dogs and 4 cats a brewers yeast and garlic tablet and they have had no fleas all season! That's one bottle for dogs and cats!

November 24, 2014 Flag

My mom uses brewer's yeast for our dogs and I was wanting to know can you use the same brewer's yeast for cats as you use for dogs or is there a different type for cats?

By Angie S.

Answer This QuestionWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, have not used it but Health food store suggested it. I would assume they have the best quality.

I used in for my cats. Added some to their food; and, rubbed it into their fur; and, it got rid of the fleas.

October 20, 2014 Flag

Can I use baker's yeast instead of brewer's yeast? I can't find brewers.

By DW

No. Do not use bakers yeast in place of brewers yeast. Bakers yeast is toxic to cats.

if you get really stuck you can find brewers yeast at a shop that sells the stuff to make home made beer

You can get brewers yeast at any GNC store or at WalMart !!

You can get Brewers Yeast at any GNC or Walmart Store !!

June 27, 2013 Flag

I've heard that like onion, garlic is poison and my old dog did die of liver related stuff at age (almost 16). i was reading about brewers yeast/garlic pill and thought i should put this out here~ maybe what I read was wrong? I know brewer's yeast is stinky lol. I used to take it in powder form long ago~ yuck! I can't imagine spraying my dogs every day with it. I have been using natural non chemical spice oil spray with citronella, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, etc. It works good most years, but this year these fleas are bigger and lay lots more eggs. I didn't realize how many more and now I have a problem. I think I am going to have to get out the big guns and get Frontline :(

By Robin

I just read that using Nematodes in the yard will kill most fleas that get on your pets outside. You can get it at your local hardware or home store. I'm going to try it!

I put about a tsp. of Brewer's Yeast in my palm and when I pet my cat, I casually sprinkle on fur and try to rub in a little so it doesn't go onto floor so much. My younger American Shorthair just accepts and starts the licking routine. My older Turkish Angora, though, gets really upset that anything is on his beautiful coat..and then becomes a bit afraid to even let me pet him. In the food, sprayed on coat? Neither works, probably because both cats were feral at one time and still are, a bit?

Front line and advantage, even advanticks does not work anymore we have done it all, flea dip baths with flea shampoo bombing the house treatment of the yard steam cleaning and all flea treatments so I started the B-yeast thing going let's see how it goes

February 2, 2013 Flag

Has anyone heard of giving brewers yeast to their dogs to prevent fleas? My mother in law swears by it for her cats, but not sure if it is the same for dogs.

By Stacey

Hi Stacey, brewer's yeast definitely works for cats and dogs to repel fleas. My vet told me years ago that it works by making the pet's blood taste bad to the fleas. If you're lucky, and your pet likes the taste of it, the pet will eat it readily by mixing crushed tablets or brewers yeast powder into their food (moist food works best).

I had one cat who loved it, and would pick the tablet off the top of her food and eat it first! If your pet doesn't like the taste at first, try introducing it gradually, by mixing a small amount (a pinch of powder or half or less of a crushed tablet) into the food, then increasing every few days until they get used to it. All of our dogs and cats ate it with no problem.

After our flea problem went away, we were able to stop using it, but if I ever saw fleas again (not likely because my cats are all indoor pets), I would use it again. It also gives them extra B vitamins, as a plus.

My sister uses it for her dogs she owns a kennel she swears by it all her dogs are akc champions and they all have very shiny coats

October 29, 2013 Flag

Is there any flavor of brewer's yeast other than garlic? My dogs don't like garlic.

By Rosario

When I went to my local home brew shop they have all sorts of flavours of brewers yeast...

June 2, 2012 Flag

Is there a strength or milligram per pound of weight for kittens and cats? How many times per day do I administer brewers yeast tablets and garlic tablets?

By Kaylyn L.

For an average size cat give 1 teaspoon of brewer's yeast per day (mix it in their food). If you're talking about kittens under 5, 6 or 7 pounds I suggest asking a veterinarian to be sure.

You can also dust your cat's coat with brewer's yeast as a flea powder.

*Warning! Some cats are allergic to yeast. If you see an adverse reaction, stop adding the brewer's yeast to their food.

**And another warning! NEVER EVER give cats or dogs garlic nor let them eat anything in the allium plant family because it causes Heinz Body Anemia which will eventually cause internal organ failure! Alliums include garlic, any and all types of onions (including chives), leeks, etc. and even flowers like lily's.

May 26, 2009 Flag

I have heard that garlic and brewer's yeast work but I can't get my dog to eat garlic! Am I using it wrong?

Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 17, 2011
Dog Scratching Fleas
Flea Pet Treatments
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Yeast
Storing Yeast
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
🎉
🎄