Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

There are many ways to get rid of fleas from you pet, home and yard. Avoid the toxic and expensive chemicals at the pet store and try a non-toxic home remedy. This is a guide about using brewer's yeast for fleas.

Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding. Upclose photo of a flea.
Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

A tip for keeping fleas away from your cats and dogs. Simply put a teaspoon of powdered brewer's yeast into their food. You can also dissolve 1/4 cup brewer's yeast into 1 quart of water. Place in spray bottle and spray pet, combing into fur as you do.

By lilangel1958 from TN

CommentMoreRead More...Was this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Each day I give each of my dogs and 4 cats a brewers yeast and garlic tablet and they have had no fleas all season! That's one bottle for dogs and cats! I get it from onlynaturalpet.com

I also get one bottle of HW Protect to protect them from heart worms. It is a bottle of drops that I squirt onto their food. One drop per 2 lb. of body weight. Both are veterinarian approved!

By virginnyb65 from Charles City, IA

My mom uses brewer's yeast for our dogs and I was wanting to know can you use the same brewer's yeast for cats as you use for dogs or is there a different type for cats?

By Angie S.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi, have not used it but Health food store suggested it. I would assume they have the best quality.

Can I use baker's yeast instead of brewer's yeast? I can't find brewers.

By DW

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

No. Do not use bakers yeast in place of brewers yeast. Bakers yeast is toxic to cats.

Two dogs.I've heard that like onion, garlic is poison and my old dog did die of liver related stuff at age (almost 16). i was reading about brewers yeast/garlic pill and thought i should put this out here~ maybe what I read was wrong? I know brewer's yeast is stinky lol. I used to take it in powder form long ago~ yuck! I can't imagine spraying my dogs every day with it. I have been using natural non chemical spice oil spray with citronella, cinnamon, clove, peppermint, etc. It works good most years, but this year these fleas are bigger and lay lots more eggs. I didn't realize how many more and now I have a problem. I think I am going to have to get out the big guns and get Frontline :(

By Robin

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

I put about a tsp. of Brewer's Yeast in my palm and when I pet my cat, I casually sprinkle on fur and try to rub in a little so it doesn't go onto floor so much. My younger American Shorthair just accepts and starts the licking routine. My older Turkish Angora, though, gets really upset that anything is on his beautiful coat..and then becomes a bit afraid to even let me pet him. In the food, sprayed on coat? Neither works, probably because both cats were feral at one time and still are, a bit?

Read More Answers...

Has anyone heard of giving brewers yeast to their dogs to prevent fleas? My mother in law swears by it for her cats, but not sure if it is the same for dogs.

By Stacey

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

Hi Stacey, brewer's yeast definitely works for cats and dogs to repel fleas. My vet told me years ago that it works by making the pet's blood taste bad to the fleas. If you're lucky, and your pet likes the taste of it, the pet will eat it readily by mixing crushed tablets or brewers yeast powder into their food (moist food works best).

I had one cat who loved it, and would pick the tablet off the top of her food and eat it first! If your pet doesn't like the taste at first, try introducing it gradually, by mixing a small amount (a pinch of powder or half or less of a crushed tablet) into the food, then increasing every few days until they get used to it. All of our dogs and cats ate it with no problem.

After our flea problem went away, we were able to stop using it, but if I ever saw fleas again (not likely because my cats are all indoor pets), I would use it again. It also gives them extra B vitamins, as a plus.

Is there a strength or milligram per pound of weight for kittens and cats? How many times per day do I administer brewers yeast tablets and garlic tablets?

By Kaylyn L.

AnswerWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes

For an average size cat give 1 teaspoon of brewer's yeast per day (mix it in their food). If you're talking about kittens under 5, 6 or 7 pounds I suggest asking a veterinarian to be sure.

You can also dust your cat's coat with brewer's yeast as a flea powder.

*Warning! Some cats are allergic to yeast. If you see an adverse reaction, stop adding the brewer's yeast to their food.

**And another warning! NEVER EVER give cats or dogs garlic nor let them eat anything in the allium plant family because it causes Heinz Body Anemia which will eventually cause internal organ failure! Alliums include garlic, any and all types of onions (including chives), leeks, etc. and even flowers like lily's.

I have heard that garlic and brewer's yeast work but I can't get my dog to eat garlic! Am I using it wrong?

Misty

Answers:

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Here's someone who recommends not using garlic.

"Although some people feed onion or garlic to pets, I do not recommend it, and I don't serve either to my pets. Onions and garlic do come from the same family. Both contain a compound that is toxic to red blood cell membranes in dogs and cats. This toxic effect, particularly in onions, stays no matter if the onion is raw, cooked, dehydrated, or in powder form.

As for garlic, there are plenty of reports of pets who are regularly fed garlic and garlic extract to ward off fleas, then develop skin problems and asthmatic attacks. Some can also develop a certain anemia, but it is hard to predict which animal may have such a reaction. Read food labels carefully before serving your pet any commercial foods with garlic or onions, and avoid serving him homemade foods with these ingredients."

Here's another writer cautioning against using garlic for fleas. This one is just referring to cats.

"According to Dr. Randy Kidd, the use of garlic, as well as onions, shallots, and chives, has been shown to cause damage to feline red blood cells which can result in hemolytic anemia and eventual death. Raw garlic and onions can also cause ulcers and irritation of the mouth, esophagus and stomach."

His recommendation: avoid giving garlic and onions to your cat! Basically it may work for fleas but also may have some harmful side effects for pets.(04/23/2004)

By ThriftyFun

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I put a couple of shakes of garlic powder in my dogs food and then mix it up with a little water. He loves it. I also use brewer's yeast tablet and just give one to my dog a day. He begs for those! I never have had a flea problem with any of my dogs. Good luck. (04/27/2004)

By Toni K.

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Mix equal amounts of garlic powder and nutritional yeast flakes (from the health food store) Keep it in a sealed container. Mix into the pet's food, I use 1 tsp. per dog . I store mine in the fridge. Have you tried putting a garlic clove into a piece of raw meat ? Hot dogs work well. A clove a day, per dog. (05/06/2004)

By Tammy

Garlic for Fleas

Can I have some references describing toxicity (anemia ) of garlic, shallots or onions towards cats and dogs ingesting it , please ? I am just curious about this observation as compared to similar reactions occurring in other mammals, humans for instance ? (08/18/2004)

By Robert

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

i have started giving my dog brewers yeast tabs with garlic "premium" brand avail at Walmart). I give her one a day. I do have to wrap it in cheese, her favorite. A friend told me about this and it works for her dogs and she attends agility shows year round. (04/24/2005)

By Chris

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Please read this for the safety of your dogs, thank you. It is important information about foods to avoid to prevent illness.

"While many of us like to occasionally give our precious pets the odd treat here and there, it should be remembered that these tasty morsels, and other things commonly found around the house, can actually affect the health of your pet. There are many, many foods, plants and other drugs that can cause nasty diseases if consumed by your pet.

Foods that are commonly associated with toxicity in dogs and cats include chocolate, onions, grapes, garlic, and macadamia nuts to name just a few. Obviously many of these foods can be given to animals without seeing any immediate side effects, but in many cases ingestion of large amounts of these foods, or small amounts over a long period of time, can cause ill health. Chocolate, for example, contains the compound theobromine that when consumed in large amounts causes clinical signs such as vomiting, diarrhea, tremors, seizures, hyperactivity, and ultimately can result in death. Onions have long been known to be toxic to dogs and cats, causing anemia (low numbers of red blood cells) and weakness in animals that consume it. Grapes, raisins and sultanas have only recently been reported to cause toxic effects, however the clinical signs of grape toxicity were quite severe, causing kidney and liver disease and in the worst cases, death. Garlic, when consumed over a long period of time can cause an anemia like that caused by onions. The easiest way to avoid causing harm to your pet is to avoid feeding them foods that they would not normally eat. This does not mean that we have to avoid giving our pets the treats they love, it just means that we should select a treat that is more appropriate for them, such a doggie chocs (which lack the toxic agent that is present in human chocolate) or liver treats.

Some plants can also be toxic to cats and dogs. Tiger Lillies have been reported to cause acute (sudden onset) renal failure in cats, and daffodil bulbs when consumed can also have nasty side effects. Tea tree oil and aloe vera have also been reported to cause toxic effects. Aloe vera can cause vomiting, diarrhea and abdominal pain when consumed. These side effects are not usually seen when aloe vera is used on the skin (such as in shampoos) although they may be seen if the animal licks an aloe vera based product off its skin. Again, the key to preventing these toxicities in your pet is to prevent them from gaining access to potentially toxic plants, and if you have any questions ask one of our vets.

There are also some products that are commonly found around the house that can cause toxicity to dogs and cats. Lead and lead-based products (such as paints) can cause disease of the nervous system and gastrointestinal system if consumed or if animals are in contact with the lead based substance for long periods. Paracetamol is extremely toxic to cats and should NEVER be given to these animals. The side effects of paracetamol use in cats include swelling of the face, poor oxygen carrying capacity of the blood and ultimately death. No human medication should be given to an animal without discussing it with a vet as there are many differences between humans and cats and dogs, so where you think you may be helping your pet, you may actually be inadvertently causing them harm. Snail poison and rodenticides (rat and mouse poison) are also toxic to cats and dogs, and can even cause toxicity if your pet eats the dead rat, mouse, snail or slug. The easiest way to prevent harming your pet is to keep all  chemicals and drugs away from them, and if they do happen to come into contact with any of these chemicals, then contact your vet immediately."

(04/24/2005)

By Anonymous

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I live in Florida and am experiencing a tremendous amount of fleas on both of my dogs. We don't like chemical compounds and are hopeful that the garlic capsules and brewers yeast pills that we just bought at Walmart will help. One dog appears to be allergic to flea bites and just about everything else, including the peanut butter in which we used to hide her pills. Does anyone know what the best combination of these two substances would be? Each dog weighs 90lbs. (01/02/2006)

By Grace

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Make the garlic into a pill size. Place it into your dogs month, then hold his mouth closed. He will swallow it whole.

OR

Mix garlic into the food, or meat. Brewer's yeast works well too. See if your dog likes beer! (06/20/2006)

By Brooke

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Hi, My parents for years have given their dog brewers yeast pills to help with fleas and she hasn't had any since they have used it. Try going to your local feed store and they should carry it and I believe even Walmart and Pet supply stores have it now. It's all natural too! (06/21/2006)

By Mandi

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

What about "GARLIC IS TOXIC TO YOUR PETS" is flying over your heads? Garlic (and onions) cause anemia in cats and dogs, I know this because of a good friend's beloved dog dying because of it. Anybody pushing garlic and brewer's yeast as a flea cure should have their ignorance dispelled and anybody *selling* such a product for pets ought to be hung by their thumbs!

DO NOT USE GARLIC IN YOUR PET'S DIET, IT WILL EVENTUALLY KILL THEM!! (01/26/2007)

By Big Jim

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

If you go to the site www.aspca.org, they have a list of things that are poisonous to pets; garlic is on their list. (01/26/2007)

By Persnickety Paula

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I know, why don't you just feed the dog large amounts of arsenic - this won't cure fleas or any other ailment, but it might reduce the suffering period endured by your dog. Garlic and onions can kill your dog - as well as chocolate - just as a sideline thing. So think before you give your dog anything that is not RECOMMENDED by your vet - and first research it. (12/15/2007)

By Suezee

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Thank God your dog won't eat garlic because it's toxic for dogs and can kill him! (04/07/2008)

By Do

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

We have been feeding garlic to our dogs and cats for over a month now. The dogs seem fine and we do not see fleas on them. The cats do not seem to have fleas either but a couple days ago 2 of our cats began vomiting and did so all day. One of them got OK, the other began vomiting blood and would not eat for over 2 days and was very lethargic. They have never been sick before so my best guess is he developed ulcers and/or anemia from the garlic. I treated him with homeopathics and he eventually starting feeling a little better. Very scary, we will never feed the cats garlic again. Still doing some research on the benefits for dogs. (05/03/2008)

By Jan

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I raise Australian Shepherds and have for years. Also, my dogs are in the bunch that have Ivermectin Toxicity. Five years ago I started all my pets, dogs and cats on the Brewers Yeast tabs with Garlic and in one months time I started noticing that not only were they shedding less, but their coats were thicker and more lustrous and they had no bugs bothering them. Not just fleas, but ticks and mosquitoes too. I would never feed my animals straight garlic but the amount they get in the tabs is enough to make them a bad meal for a pest. My cats won't eat the pill form so I sprinkle the powder form on their food. I have never had a problem with my pets having a reaction but they sure don't shed like they use to. Face it, if bugs don't bite them you don't have to use the chemicals to get rid of internal parasites and I don't have to worry about my pups that I sell because I warn all my buyers about their potential death from Ivermectin and the use of Brewers Yeast with garlic tabs. I buy my from the company called Brewers Yeast Specialists and I recommend them with all my heart. (05/12/2008)

By Barbaroo

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I am wonder if you make a garlic tea and use it as a dip for your dog if anybody knows if this will kill fleas and at the same time not harm the dog. I realize that most dogs will lick themselves after a bath, but because the garlic is in the form of a tea if this will cause any problems to the dog. (05/17/2008)

By Teri

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I tried using a lot of the vet recommended flea repellents and I found that they were not working properly, even when my vet applied them. So I tried the capstar pill and it gave my dog Buddy a horrible skin irritation, then I heard about brewers yeast and garlic tabs for dogs. I did some research, and decided that I had to try something! This has worked for all of us very well. I give them to him in a soft treat every morning, we have a ritual of taking our pills together. Not only do the bugs stay off of him and he does not get skin irritations from chemicals, but there is a lot less shedding for other family members to complain about. I needed something for his skin to heal not just from hot spots caused by the meds that didn't work, but chemical irritations too, and I came across an all natural oatmeal shampoo which I still use because it healed his skin and makes his coat feel very soft. (07/27/2008)

By Buddy's mommy

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I have been researching raw food diets for pets for the past 6 weeks and here is an interesting comment I found on a reputable site: http://www.auntjeni.com/faqs.htm

"It is not true that garlic is dangerous for cats, or for dogs. Garlic has many wonderful health benefits, including: immune system booster, blood cleanser, and anti-bacterial properties. It is also believed to be effective in making your pet less "lovable" to pests like mosquitoes, fleas and ticks. Garlic is in the same genus as onions (Allium). However, garlic does not contain the same compound that onions do, a poisonous alkaloid called n-propyl disulphide. This compound inhibits an enzyme in red blood cells, causing them to denature. For this reason, onions should be on the Forbidden Food list for our pets, but garlic is"safe" in moderation.

The amount of garlic in our cat/ferret food formula is very small, and poses absolutely no health risk to your cat. If you are still concerned about garlic-induced anemia, your veterinarian can do a blood test to determine the presence of heinz bodies (an indicator of anemia)." (09/16/2008)

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

I see lots of people saying it is toxic. I am a GSD breeder and have been for years. I spoke with my vet today and he has agreed that if you dose your animal with more than two cloves for a dog and one for a cat of garlic, it would eventually kill them. The point is that it takes a lot of garlic to do this.

Also he has been a vet for 30 years and has never came across any cat or dog with the right doses given that has become ill from garlic. I have not seen one person here that is professional in this field.

As for Dr. Randy Kidd he was proven to be wrong by several other doctors over garlic and some others just research his name you will see, on top of that none of his work was in a controlled environment. I will believe this if I see more than one doctor with the support of others proving it.

As a side note, did anyone mention that the toxic in onions doesn't happen to be the same in garlic. (09/18/2008)

By skylark

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Well, it looks Garlic wins over all. If it was so bad, then why is on shelves for dogs? (10/20/2008)

By 0hippie.

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

The garlic that is in the brewer's yeast with garlic pills has been processed, which removes the sulphide compounds that are toxic to your dog. These pills were actually recommended to me by my vet, because my little Maltese is allergic to every other flea control product we try him on. We feed the brewer's yeast pill to him daily in a cube of mild cheese, and he is fine.

I definitely wouldn't recommend feeding your dog unprocessed garlic, but the brewer's yeast with garlic is safe and effective. Just keep in mind that it usually takes 4-6 weeks for the pills to start taking effect! (11/01/2008)

By Nicole

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

My ex-husband's family owned a restaurant in the Florida Keys for many years and of course accumulated many cats which were fed left overs and scraps from each evening's cooking. Many of the dishes were cooked with garlic and so all the cats ate garlic every night. Not only were they healthy, but they were flea free. One of the cats was taken to the vet and when the vet looked inside his mouth, he couldn't believe that the cat had no teeth. He asked how old the cat was, and we told him that he was around 18 years old. The vet said that had he not looked into his mouth, he would have thought that the cat was a 5 year old.

So, please enough with the aggressive nonsense about garlic killing animals because it absolutely doesn't. I don't recommend raw garlic, but there is nothing wrong with cooked garlic. They enjoy the flavor, and it's good for them. Everything in moderation.

(01/16/2009)

By Del-mari

Garlic and Brewer's Yeast for Fleas

Speaking of dogs and chocolate. Years back I had a miniature Schnauzer. We would place our candy dishes on the coffee table, end tables etc. We went shopping this one day and when we returned there where around 14 wrappers laying on the floor from Hershey kisses. She had taken the wrappers off, very nicely, she did not bite into them.
I had heard that chocolate would kill dogs. She only weighed 10 pounds. Either it was luck, or she was immune to chocolate. Of course we never left chocolate around after that. (03/02/2009)

By Pat

CommentWas this helpful?Helpful? Yes
Home and Garden Pest Control FleasOctober 17, 2011
Dog Scratching Fleas
Flea Pet Treatments
A yeast free cheese pizza.
No Yeast Pizza Dough Recipes
Yeast
Storing Yeast
Getting Rid of Fleas in Bedding
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on May 19, 2016 at 3:13:11 PM on 10.0.0.78 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.