Brewers Yeast for Flea Prevention on Dogs

Has anyone heard of giving brewers yeast to their dogs to prevent fleas? My mother in law swears by it for her cats, but not sure if it is the same for dogs.

By Stacey

Hi Stacey, brewer's yeast definitely works for cats and dogs to repel fleas. My vet told me years ago that it works by making the pet's blood taste bad to the fleas. If you're lucky, and your pet likes the taste of it, the pet will eat it readily by mixing crushed tablets or brewers yeast powder into their food (moist food works best).

I had one cat who loved it, and would pick the tablet off the top of her food and eat it first! If your pet doesn't like the taste at first, try introducing it gradually, by mixing a small amount (a pinch of powder or half or less of a crushed tablet) into the food, then increasing every few days until they get used to it. All of our dogs and cats ate it with no problem.

After our flea problem went away, we were able to stop using it, but if I ever saw fleas again (not likely because my cats are all indoor pets), I would use it again. It also gives them extra B vitamins, as a plus.

my cats eat the tablets with no problems. frontline, advantix, etc no longer work on them..my cats are also house pets and the do not go outside.. I do not understand how they got fleas to begin with but this year I am having the hardest time getting rid of them...

Anonymous

My sister uses it for her dogs she owns a kennel she swears by it all her dogs are akc champions and they all have very shiny coats