Home Haircolor Tips

I have long hair and after making several messes on the floors, walls and countertops when using home hair color, I have two tips that have helped me to keep things neat.

First, take newspapers and spread them out on the floor and counters, making sure that some of the paper hangs over the edge of the counter. Then you can assemble the coloring materials on top the paper without worrying about spills and accidental glops.

To protect your clothing, make a smock by taking a large leaf and lawn garbage bag, turning it upside down and cutting a crescent in the center for your head, and two on each corner for your arms. Slip it over your head and it will protect your clothing from spills and misses. When you rinse your hair out, lay the bag on the newspaper to let any spills dry and when you are done, fold it up and put it in the cabinet for next time!

By Mary from Ocean Springs, MS

One other tip that I just learned the hard way. After being so extra careful to apply the dye on your hair, be careful when you take the plastic gloves off. It can make an awful stain on your carpet when dye splatters off from the glove when you are trying to take the glove off.

These are good tips. I always use a comb to comb the color through all my hair and many times have slung the color onto the door or wall. What I use instead of newspaper is an old shower curtain. When I get a new one I save the old one just for this job. It can be used a few times and then thrown away

TC in MO

I think most of us have had some hair coloring disasters. I know many times the walls and door and whatever have become splattered. I too use newspapers. I cover the entire toilet, most of the sink, the floor, the radiator. You get the idea. :) I also have two "white" shirts. I use these are my coloring shirts. Old men's dress shirts now converted. I just put it in a bag after I am done to wash. I also have a couple of "hair" towels since there is always some residual color left over that will go onto the towels. A good time I learned in cosmetology school is to put a roll or cotton or paper towel around your hairline. I do not bother with that but I do put Vaseline around my face and ears so that the color will not adhere there :)

I have just recently experimented with my hair after coloring it at home.

First, I don't wash my hair the day before I color. I just brush my hair really well.

After I color, I used to wait two days before shampooing my hair. But my color always, always faded. This happened even when I have it professionally colored, which really irritates me because it's like $70 to have it done in my shop.

So I experimented and found that if I wait four days to shampoo after coloring my hair, it makes a huge difference in how long the color lasts. I don't get that color fading thing that happens around 1/2 from my scalp anymore.

I am 51 and have a lot of hard to color gray hair.

Hope this might work for you. :)

I'm a licensed cosmetologist/hairdresser and I've read the posts about coloring your hair at home.

You didn't mention after coloring your hair, that you at least rinsed your hair under warm water. Don't leave any hair color on your head because in some rare cases the remaining hair color could seep into your pores and it could cause permanent medical problems. Or your hair could fall out and cause bald spots.

When ever you get a perm in a beauty salon, they usually recommend that you don't shampoo your hair for several days. So that the perm will set, and that would also be for hair coloring.

And if you get a perm, you should wait a week in between before getting your hair colored.

Marge from NY

A woman dying her own hair.
Coloring Hair at Home
Health & Beauty Beauty Hair Tips ColoringSeptember 5, 2007
Vacationing At Home, Vacationing at home by camping in the backyard.
Vacationing At Home
Curlers in brunette hair for a perm.
How To Do A Perm At Home
Making a quilt square on a home sewing machine.
Machine Quilting on a Home Sewing Machine
A wasp's nest in the corner of a roof.
Keeping Wasps Away From Your Home
🎉
🎄