DIY Hair Coloring Tips

Just got a compliment on my hair color from a professional stylist with whom I shared my use of hydrogen peroxide for highlights and a mixture of red and blonde colored shampoo and conditioner. Very economical and gradual so no one knows you are doing it.

Just read some great and sometimes weird tips from the e.l.f. cosmetics newsletter for more coloring ideas...

Brunettes - Make a pot of strong coffee, let it cool, and put into a spray bottle. Then spray hair with it heavily before and after conditioning. (I have also heard of using sage tea for dark hair.)

Blondes - After conditioning, rinse with 1/2 cup of apple cider vinegar, then rinse with cool water. (Remember using lemon juice to lighten, too.)

Redheads - Make a hair mask with mashed avocado mixed with tomato paste. Apply to damp hair. Wait for 10 minute., then rinse. (I have also read about using black tea for reddish highlights, and cranberry juice.)

"Silver Foxes" - Make a lemon and sugar rinse with 1/4 cup white, clear, Karo corn syrup and the juice of a lemon. Put on hair after conditioning. Wait 2-5 minutes, then rinse.

(Remember you can probably use these remedies in patches, if you just want to touch up...)

Here's to DYI Beauty!

Source: e.l.f. beauty email - Tips/Blogs/News (with tips of my own, too)

Hi, Can you give a more detailed explanation on how you highlight your hair. Thanks, Loretta

Be careful with the peroxide. I used it in May and when I went in for a body perm, they told me I had to wait till it all grew out before I could perm. They did a test strand in the perm solution, and when they took it out, the hair just broke. That was enough to convince me to never use it again.