AdviceHealth & Beauty

Caffeine in Pain Pills

Many expensive pain relievers on the market claim to have a special ingredient. If you read the label carefully you'll find the ingredient is caffeine. Caffeine acts as a booster to pain relievers. Drink a cup of coffee or tea within 20 minutes of taking a generic pain reliever and you get the same effect for a fraction of the cost. Caffeine also acts as a diuretic which is why it's included in menstrual symptom and pain relievers.

By Lisa, RN

I have always heard that caffeine helps deliver the pain medication. What you should realize too cuz I found out the hard way, is some OTC pain meds contain A LOT of caffeine. If caffeine bothers you, pls read ingedients. I had the misfortune to take something...perhaps it was Excedrin when I'd already had several cups of coffee....man did I have a bad reaction!