Cleaning a Glass Table Top

How do I get my glass table top to sparkle?

Barbara from Philadelphia, PA

You can make any glass or mirror shine with the "old" home made window washing fluid. You will never go back to purchasing commercial glass cleaners again.

recipe:

2 cups sudsy ammonia

1 teaspoon dish washing liquid (any brand)

water (best if distilled water-no minerals-, but tap water will be fine)

Combine ammonia and dish washing liquid. Add enough water to make 1 gallon. Add water slowly as the sudsy ammonia wants to "suds up". This is normal. Use a clean empty liquid sprayer (like glass cleaner spray bottle). Make sure the container is rinsed clean - any chemical may cause harmful effects - like if any bleach is left harmful fumes will result. The first time you use this you will see much soap suds on the glass. Do not be alarmed. It will clean off fine. It is always best to use a squeegee to clean glass or mirrors. The squeegee wipes all of the dirt to the side or bottom of what you are cleaning. At the end of each wipe clean the squeegee off with a clean towel. When a cloth or paper towel is used the dirt is just getting "pushed around." The next time the bottle is used gently shake it around to let the water and ammonia to mix well. The two separate somewhat between uses.

(This recipe can be cut in half by reducing the ingredients by half.)

p.s. if you prefer to have a "color" to your cleaning solution a one drop of food coloring to the mixture. This does not effect the cleaning at all. My wife prefers to see the blue color instead of the clear glass cleaner. I can see the suds fine without any coloring, but whatever, it is not worth fussing over :) Also do not use this cleaner on aluminum. Aluminum will show corrosion if ammonia is left on it.

I use hand sanitizer on glass and mirrors. You wont believe the shine and sparkle. I even use it on my appliances. They never looked so good. ~Janette~

If it's full of scratches, look in the eyeglass department for scratch filler that you rub in to make the scratches disappear.

I have heard that white vineager works well.

I mix equal parts of ammonia, 70% alcohol, and water. It's pretty strong and I guess you could dilute it more if you prefer. I use it on granite, stove and glass/mirrors.

I hate the streaks that glass cleaning produces have left on my glass top tables, window and mirrors

I have completely switched to a microfiber cloth ($1 at the dollar store)

Wet one end of the cloth, wipe your tables or mirror and dry thoroughly with the opposite end. No streaks

When the cloth is dirty, just wash in with a load of towels. REMOVE (DO NOT USE fabric softener) and allow to air dry

CHEAP, no chemicals and CLEAN/STREAK FREE!

Home and Garden Cleaning GlassMarch 3, 2009
Smooth Top Stove
Cleaning a Smooth Top Stove
Star shaped glass candle holder.
Cleaning Candle Wax from Glass
glass coffee table
Repairing a Coffee Table With Missing Glass
Glass Top Table
Designing a Glass Top Table
🎄