PaintingHome Improvement

Bright White Walls with Red Accents

I just painted my kitchen bright white with bright red accents (baseboard, molding, cover plates). I think it might be too white as my husband says the kitchen now looks sterile and not the warm-and-inviting room we used to have. It's a large room and the appliances are off-white.

I'm thinking I might want to cover the white with something else (we just got a Home Depot gift card which we could use), but I'm not sure what color. I'm looking for suggestions of what color would go with red trim/accents.

Ksollod from MD

Perhaps a warmer more inviting cream or taupe color? Can still work with the red and be not as shocking as straight white.

I agree with heavenlyMayDay.... cream or taupe is nice. You might even wander into the beige or tan spectrum. I can also be brightened up with accessories and curtains.

A soft sage or a robin's egg blue might be pretty.

I like what you've done , what I would do would be to add accents like pictures of apples or maybe pictures of flowers in various colors,hand towels hanging on the oven door.cookie jar on the counter etc...would tone down to red and contrast to the white walls

Thanks for the great ideas. We've got red accent pieces (hot peppers, crabs, lighthouses) already. We're going to put them back up and live with it for a week or so and see how we like it. I think we'll want to change, but hubby says he's not ready to paint any more until after the holidays.

Thanks again for all the input.

Soft mossy gray-green and vanilla? a champagne, honey vanilla, not a yellowy one. Anything to keep it adult, not a juvenile primary-colors look, so avoid crayon colors like royal blue, forest green or butter yellow.

i have my kitchen done in white, red and black. applicances, walls, dishes, pots and pans, dishcloths, etc...

This is my kitchen color scheme- mostly white/off white, red base cabinets, hickory wall cabinets, black granite look countertops, yellow and spring green accents.

Since you dont sound like you want to repaint the trim, I think you should paint the walls a shade lighter than the trim. If you have a paint strip, go one or two shades lighter and use that one. Or do the walls in the same shade as the trim. You will need to find another color for your accent color... I'd choose green or bright yellow.

You can still use white, just use a softer white. With red accents it will have an old fashioned feel.