Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Difference Between Bread Machine and Regular Yeast

What's the difference between bread machine yeast and regular yeast? Thanks.

By Cindy from OH

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By Frank [2]05/18/2011

Price!

By Elaine S. [39]05/18/2011

The difference is that you do not need to proof your yeast. I have used both successfully in a bread machine, however. My bread machine calls for the wet ingredients to be put in first and then the dry ingredients with the yeast on top. If I am making a whole wheat or rye bread, I often use extra gluten for that too. You can buy yeast much, much cheaper if you go to an Amish or Mennonite community. They buy things in bulk and repackage and it saves a bundle. They also carry all kinds of flour to make your bread baking interesting. Another good site is www.kingarthurflour.com. They have excellent tutorials on a lot of things.

By Brenda Norrish [1]05/18/2011

The yeast used in bread machines is the instant dry yeast, which can also be used for baking without a bread machine. There are other types of yeast, and different ways of using them, so you should follow the instructions in a recipe for the type, amount and method of usage.

The rapid cycle in a bread machine is for bread or cake made without yeast but with another form of raising agent such as baking powder or bicarb of soda.

By PENNY K [15]05/16/2011

I've no idea. I use rapid rise which I get by the pound at Costco or Sams or Winco. It's less than $3 per pound and I keep it in a Ziploc which I put in a plastic container in the fridge. Lasts well over a year.

I notice that some breadmakers have a rapid cycle which is I assume is for rapid rise yeast.