Bread Machine Tips and Tricks

Category Kitchen Tools
Bread Machine Tips and Tricks
Saving time and energy baking bread at home can be accomplished with a bread machine. This page contains bread machines tips and tricks.

When making bread machine bread, I make one recipe for the machine, and another one for the zip bag. I omit any liquid or fat from the bag, and write the measurements for the water, oil, etc, and temperature/baking time on the label. You could make up as many of these homemade bread mixes as you wanted. I store mine in the refrigerator.

If I need fresh bread all the drudgery of getting the ingredients out is gone. Just heat up the water to activate the yeast, throw in the dry mix, add hot water and oil, and turn on the bread machine. It's so darn quick I wonder why I didn't think of it sooner. I always let the dough do it's second rising in a real bread pan, and bake the loaf in the oven. The machine came with scads of recipes for variety.

I like serving a loaf of bread that I know contains no preservatives, and all the ingredients are fresh. The stores can't beat my fresh loaf for the little bit it cost me for the ingredients and my time is well worth it. The bread makes a nice surprise for a neighbor or friend, too.

By Bobbie G from Rockwall, TX

Do you have any bread machine tips? Post your ideas below!

Nothing smells any more awesome that homemade bread baking. And nothing is more loved than fresh bread. Bread has received a bad name. Oh, the carbs! The wheat! But you can make your bread, and eat it too! In my family we love bread. Not the chemical laden bread sold on a shelf with a price that takes your breath away. But a piping hot fresh loaf, fresh from the oven or the bread machine.

I am one busy woman. I can mix and knead bread by hand with the best of them, but I simply do not have the time. Several years ago I was laughed at by an in-law who looked down her nose at my using a bread machine. She informed me she made "real bread". And insinuated I did not know how to. Funny thing, she now owns two of them. :-)

I purchased my first bread machine years ago, it has long since worn out. Actually, through the years, I have worn out several of them. But I never purchased another one. I have picked them up in pristine like new condition for a song at thrift stores, or I have had them given to me. The one I am using now was purchased as a wedding gift for a couple and they decided they did not want it, and they gave it to me unused. Thank you!

Most of the time I admit I use my machine to make dough, and shape them into rolls and use a conventional oven to bake it is, especially in the winter time. But in the hot weather I allow my bread machine to bake it for me. If you are too busy to make your own bread, you are in luck! You can set the timer and have wonderful homemade bread when you come home from work.

Do you like pizza? Me too! I use my bread machine to mix up a batch of awesome homemade dough that makes a melt in your mouth pizza crust! Using olive oil and wheat flour it is certainly a lot healthier than the local pizzeria fanfare. And for those with a sweet tooth, cinnamon rolls are a snap using your bread machine to make the dough. (Yes, you can actually make them fairly healthy using wheat bread and diabetic friendly sweeteners.)

A search on the internet will find you scores of tried and true bread machine recipes that you can adjust to your liking and dietary needs. Jalapeno cheese, oatmeal raisin, the options are unlimited! Along with the machine you will need to make sure you have your supplies ready. I do not buy small packages of yeast, the cost per tiny pack is way too high. I prefer to buy a "block" of yeast; a huge one or two pound vacuum sealed package of yeast is enough to last me a long time. I store mine in a huge plastic jar in the freezer, so that it stays fresh.

I keep a supply of wheat flour, soft wheat flour, and a little all-purpose flour (just in case I choose to mix them). The cost is so much cheaper than store bought bread, the taste is SO much better, and unwanted preservatives are left out. So, if you are a bread eater, the next time you see a shiny bread machine beckoning to you from a thrift store shelf, consider giving it a good home.

Make your own homemade bread machine mixes. I like to use my favorite recipe and prepare a dozen or so at a time. Prepare 12 quart Ziploc bags by labeling them (I like freezer bags to use over and over). Use a sharpie and write "add 1 1/2 cups warmed buttermilk and 2 Tbsp. butter." Use the measurements for the wet ingredients for your favorite bread machine recipe. You may need to adjust the liquid for your bread machine.

Open all the bags (cuff them tops to keep them open). Pour the dry ingredients, beginning with the smaller measurements. The yeast is not affected in any way. Press out as much air as possible, and seal and flatten the bags. I like to place mine in a large Tupperware container for storage.

By fossil1955 from Cortez, CO

This tip includes a recipe. The tip is for using a bread machine, but still having that "Old-Fashioned" Homemade loaf of bread.

I don't like the thick hard crust the bread machine makes, so I use my favorite recipe for bread and just use the dough cycle. I mix it, let it go through the "knead" cycle, then remove it, place in a greased bowl, turn, cover and let rise until double. Punch it down, shape it into a loaf and place in greased bread pan. Let rise again until it is just a little above the edge of the pan. Preheat oven to 375º and bake for 30 minutes. Remove from the pan and immediately wrap it in a heavy towel until cool. Slice and enjoy.

And now for that recipe:

Add in this order to your bread machine: 1 cup warm water, 1 teaspoon salt, 2 Tablespoons sugar, 1 Tablespoon oil, 1/2 teaspoon vanilla, 1 Tablespoon yeast, 3 1/4 cups flour. When the "knead" cycle ends, turn the machine off and place the dough in a greased bowl and follow the directions above.

By Harlean from Arkansas

We just got another bread machine and have been waking up to the utterly heavenly aroma of fresh bread and coffee, set to finish just as our first alarm rings.

I use vegetable oil in my bread machine recipes instead of margarine. The taste and texture is much better. I use 1/4 cup oil for a 1 1/2 lb loaf...

I have a bread machine (ABM-100-3SN 37128644). I set the machine on French bread, pushed start, it starts kneading, then stops in 10 min. then nothing. Timing Set is not on. I have tried timing but still no results. Please help. I need bread today, but my machine did not come with instructions. I have all ingredients in. What buttons do I need to push to make bread? Thanks.

Mike

You could try the web site for the maker of your machine. They usually have the directions for their machines- some even have links so you can copy their whole book of directions.

Good luck - I really like the machine I have.

That manufacturer will probably have a downloadable version of the manual that came with your machine. Worked for my vacuum cleaner that I got at a thrift shop, I downloaded the book for it.

This is probably too late for you - I checked my Oster manual, and the French bread setting is for 3 hours and 50 minutes. The first 18 minutes it kneads, then it rises the first time for 40 minutes, so your machine is not working right.

Troubleshooting possibilities: check bread pan and blade to make sure they are snugly in position. Also check that room temperature is between 60 and 85 degrees F. If machine is too cold or too hot, it may not work. Warm it up or cool it off, as appropriate. Sometimes it helps just to pull the plug, leave the machine off for a minute, and then plug it back in. That should clear the machine, and you can start all over. Good luck. Homemade bread is great stuff.

For french bread, the cycle is:

Primary kneading 15 minutes

Primary rising 60 minutes

Secondary kneading 18 minutes

Secondary rising 20 minutes

Loaf shaping 2 seconds

Final rising 75 minutes

Baking 23-50 minutes

Cooling 42-15 minutes

After the primary kneading, the dough will just set there and rise; the machine will seem to do nothing. The timer button is used only when you want the machine to make bread later that day--I never used mine.

I've had the welbilt bread machine for a while and just started to use it today. I threw in the ingredients and it started it up... nothing happened... I waited for it to mix... and nothing 2 hours later... I know for whole wheat it says you should wait so the liquid can absorb the dry ingredients? But I'm making a sweet bread, so I chose that function. I pulled out the pan and felt the heat wire, and it was hot... is this normal? I've plugged and unplugged several times now... help please

On most electronic appliances these days and computers as well, if you press and hold the start button and count to 10 that might trigger a reset of the memory and clear it and the machine may work properly. Also unplug the appliance for 10 minutes, and also press button "Start" down for 10 sec. while machine is unplugged. Electronic appliances store a small amount of power in a tiny cell so that electronics retain the program to operate. That's why electronics that sit for years will not work, the cell died and the memory went bad.

Also try holding down other buttons one at a time as well as counting to 10. Look around on machine bottom etc. for a tiny hole that says "Reset", take a ball point pen and press it and hold down 5 sec. Your problem may have been caused by a power outage while machine was on, and this corrupted the program, it just needs to be reset. Or just remove pan and start and let machine run through the entire cycle, like a washing machine when it gets unplugged or outage while in cycle. You have to blow out the memory chip of the corrupted data, and it will reset automatically.

Last effort, have an electrician open up machine and check for a bad "inline fuse" and ask him to look for a reset button on circuit board inside unit as well, and to test the system battery storage unit, a small battery. It all takes about 5 minutes, he just puts a little tester on it.

Can I make bread in a bread machine without the paddle?

By Carolyn from Dunnellon, FL

Answer Was this helpful? 1

I would try making up the batter by hand and then put it in the machine to rise and bake.

I use mine to mix the bread but take it out to rise and bake as my machine does not cook it as well as the oven does.

I got this old bread machine at a sale. The model is Welbilt #ABM-100-4. Am I able to just make the bread dough mixture in this? I don't know how to do this as I do not have the instructions for it. By the way how old is this machine any way? Thank you.

Gladys

I don't know anything about making bread since I'm on a low carb diet but I think you'll find my reply helpful. Here are the manual and recipe book that normally comes with the machine:

Welbilt ABM-100-4 Recipe Book

http://www.crea  00-4_Recipes.pdf

Welbilt ABM-100-4 Manual & Tips Book

http://www.crea  100-4_Manual.pdf

ManualsOnline.com is a free site. Maybe they will have a copy of the manual for your bread maker.

:)kj

Hello again, I googled your bread maker & this site has your manual & recipes for your bread maker. Go to: (www.creativehomemaking.com)

[PDF] Welbilt ABM-100-4 Manual & Tips - THE BREAD MACHINEFile Format: PDF/Adobe Acrobat

(MODEL ABM-1OO-4.) Please take a few minutes to read ABM-100-4. Congratulations on owning a (Welbilt) automatic bread machine. For best www.creativehomemaking.com/.../Welbilt_ABM-100-4_Manual.pdf - Similar

:) KJ

A simple google got this:

http://www.scri  -Machine-Manuals

I had posted this a few days back for someone asking the same question.

The Bread Machine Owners Manual

Model # ABM-100-4

http://www.crea  100-4_Manual.pdf

What's the difference between bread machine yeast and regular yeast? Thanks.

By Cindy from OH

I've no idea. I use rapid rise which I get by the pound at Costco or Sams or Winco. It's less than $3 per pound and I keep it in a Ziploc which I put in a plastic container in the fridge. Lasts well over a year.

I notice that some breadmakers have a rapid cycle which is I assume is for rapid rise yeast.

The yeast used in bread machines is the instant dry yeast, which can also be used for baking without a bread machine. There are other types of yeast, and different ways of using them, so you should follow the instructions in a recipe for the type, amount and method of usage.

The rapid cycle in a bread machine is for bread or cake made without yeast but with another form of raising agent such as baking powder or bicarb of soda.

The difference is that you do not need to proof your yeast. I have used both successfully in a bread machine, however. My bread machine calls for the wet ingredients to be put in first and then the dry ingredients with the yeast on top. If I am making a whole wheat or rye bread, I often use extra gluten for that too. You can buy yeast much, much cheaper if you go to an Amish or Mennonite community. They buy things in bulk and repackage and it saves a bundle. They also carry all kinds of flour to make your bread baking interesting. Another good site is www.kingarthurflour.com. They have excellent tutorials on a lot of things.

Price!

What is the preferred order for adding ingredients when using a Hitachi bread machine?

By GEM

Always add your liquids first. Then add the dry ingredients and your yeast last.

The shaft on my Hitachi bread machine will not go back and forth. The blade comes out, so that is not stuck. I had to knead the bread by hand. I boiled the bread pan in water for about 15 minutes with water around the pan and inside the pan. How can I get this to work? Last time I used it it was fine.

By Karen from Mason City, IA

Can you take three or four pictures of the mixing/baking pan inside and underneath. That might give one of we viewers an idea of how to fix. I had shaft problems with my Oster 2 pounder and with just a couple of simple fixes I'm using it again with no problems.

Will my bread machine continue with its regular cycle after a power surge? My bread machine was in the "rising" mode when we had a power surge. I don't have a manual because it was purchased at a yard sale. Can you tell me if the machine will continue with the cycle or do I need to just throw out the dough?

By Valorie R.

I don't think it will be a problem. Just continue the programme and see what happens.

I make my bread by hand now. 18 ounces of flour, mixed with 2 teaspoons of salt, 1 and a quarter teaspoons of salt, rub in 1 ounce of butter, stir in 1 and a half teaspoons of dried yeast, 10 fluid ounces of warm water, knead for about 10 minutes, leave in tin for about an hour, only one rise required. Cook in hot oven for about half an hour.

I use a Welbilt Bread Machine ABM 3100. I have had this bread machine for a long time and it worked fine. The last 2 times the bread didn't rise. I bought new yeast and the flour is new bread flour. The machine doesn't seem warm during the rising time. I thought I remember it being warm during that time. When the bread cooks it only is half the container. Does anyone know if their machine is warm during the rising time of the dough?

By Linda

I had a bread machine that did the same thing and I finally just pitched it. Bad mistake. Since then, I found another one on Craigslist and got it for $20.00. I didn't like the way it baked the bread so now I use it just to mix my dough. Ater it is mixed well, I pour the dough out into a baking pan sprayed with Butter Pam. I set the oven to warm and let it rise in the oven for about 45 minutes. Afterwards, I bake it in the oven. I like my bread baked in the oven much better than baked in the bread machine.

Do I have to set the timer for the bread to complete the cycle? I have the Welbilt AB 100-4 machine. I set the bread setting and clicked on start. It kneaded and is rising. Will it heat up on its own or was I supposed to set the timer?

By Grace B.

I'm using the "dough" mode. After it is done and I make rolls. Do I need to make the rolls and let it rise again or is it ready to bake right out of the bread machine? Thank you.

By Sue from KS

Can I bake a 2 lb. loaf in my Pillsbury model 1021 bread maker?

By Barbara

We got our machine from the thrift store and tried it for the first time today, after washing it and all that.

It left a funny, almost plasticy taste in the bread. Anyone have a solution for that?

By Lisa

I have a ABM 3100 bread machine I've had for awhile with no manual. It worked fine, but lately the bread only rose to half way. I thought the machine was warm in the time the bread was rising, but last 2 times its wasn't. I changed flour and replaced my yeast which was still good. Does anyone have a Welbilt? Does it feel warm when the bread is rising?

By lindachinook

My niece gave me an extra bread machine she has as mine broke. The book for the Welbilt ABM1L23 does not say if you are able to make just dough in the dual pan machine. Can any one tell me if this is possible?

Thanks from Ohio.

By Janet from Mt. Blanchard, OH

Does anyone know how to use a bread machine to make regular bread? I want the bread machine to do the work and then put it in a regular bread pan to finish and look like a real loaf of bread.

Tricia

Answers:

Making Regular (Baked) Bread in a Bread Machine

I make bread like this all the time. Just put your ingredients (enough for 1 loaf of bread) in the bread machine. First put in the liquid and the shortening or oil, then add the salt, sugar, flour and yeast. Set your bread machine to the "Dough" cycle. After a few minutes of mixing and kneading, it will beep. At this point, click the Stop or Off button.

Remove the pan from the machine, and dump the dough into a greased bowl. Turn once, cover with a towel and let rise until double in bulk. Shape into a loaf and place in greased loaf pan. Turn the oven on to 375 degrees F to preheat. Let it rise again until just a little above the edge of the pan. Place in the preheated oven and bake for 25-30 minutes.

Remove from oven and let set for about 2 minutes and then dump from the pan onto a thick towel. Wrap hot bread in the towel and let it set until cool. Slice and eat or store in a plastic bag until ready to slice and serve.

Harlean from Arkansas (06/24/2004)

By Harlean from AR