Fried Salmon Patties

Fried Salmon Patties I

Fried salmon patties are a cheap and easy favorite of my two small children, ages 1 and 4, and of my husband. Here's how I make them:

• Drain 1 can of pink salmon, with bones for calcium. Dump the salmon into a large bowl and mash with a fork.
  • Add about half a big onion, chopped, or sprinkle in some dried onions.
  • Mix in one egg.
  • Add about 1/4 to 1/2 cup dried bread crumbs.
  • Season to taste with salt and pepper, and form flat, palm-sized patties out of the salmon mixture.
  • Heat about 1/4 to 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil in a non-stick skillet.. You may need to add more oil as the patties fry.
  • When the oil is heated, put the patties in and fry on each side until golden brown. Drain on a plate covered with a paper towel.

By Lisa from Tifton, GA

Fried Salmon Patties II

• 1 large can salmon (14+oz)
  • 1 large onion,or 1 cup,diced
  • 1/2 cup water to rinse can with
  • 1 egg
  • 1/4 tsp. garlic powder
  • 1 tsp. vinegar
  • 1/4 tsp. black pepper
  • 1/4 tsp. oregano
  • 1/4 tsp. basil
  • 1/4 tsp. salt
  • 1/2 cup or more of flour
  • Ad
  • 1/2 cup cornmeal or more
  • 1 1/2 cup oil to fry in (I use what I have fried fish in)
  • about cup flour to cover patties with

Mix all together except the oil and the last cup of flour. Make into patties smaller than burger and cover them with flour. Fry until done, about 2 minutes on each side. Drain on paper

Or you can dip out with spoon, put into hot oil and fry as above

By Kathleen from Dothan, Al

Top Comment

My adult children still request fried salmon patties when they and their children are here during mealtime. My recipe is very basic and simple, which may explain why almost everyone asks for the recipe. Many folks don't like, or have digestive issues with, onions and spices so I've never included them.

My recipe is as follows:

1 can of salmon (14 to 16 oz size) Do not drain!

1 sleeve or package of saltine crackers (1/4 of a regular box)

1 extra large or 2 small eggs

Dump the salmon into a bowl, liquid and all. I used to discard any excessive slick black fish skin because the kids thought it was gross, but it's okay to leave it all in, bones and all. Mash and break up the salmon and bones with a fork.

Add the egg (or eggs). Stir the mixture very well. Take the crackers and crush them as fine as you can. I use my blender. Save about 1/3 cup of the fine cracker crumbs in a small shallow dish or pan.

Dump the remaining fine cracker crumbs into the bowl with the salmon and egg. Stir until blended. Heat enough solid shortening (Crisco or lard) in a large skillet so that the bottom is covered to about 1/8 inch depth. The skillet needs to be hot to moderately hot. Scoop up a small egg sized portion of the salmon mixture, form into a ball, roll around in the reserved cracker crumbs, place in the hot skillet and do a quick "mash" with your fingertips to flatten the ball. Work quickly. By the time I put the last patty in the skillet it is time to turn the first one over! They need to be turned over as soon as they are a crisp, golden brown. You may need to add additional shortening to the skillet so they brown well on the second side too. When the second side has browned they are ready to eat! Serve hot! This makes a nice sized platter of patties. The salmon liquid and additional crackers really stretches the salmon without affecting the taste. It was a law around here that these be served with a skillet of fried potatoes and a big bowl of chilled applesauce plus any other vegetable which I was allowed to choose!

And yes I know, fried foods aren't healthy, but this sure filled up and satisfied hungry tummies when times were hard.

Top Comment

We love salmon patties. I make the way my mom made when I was growing up and that is a can of salmon mostly drained, just leave a little of the juice, skin and bones removed, add a chopped small onion and 2 pieces of torn up bread. Mix well, form into patties, dip each patty in flour and fry in hot oil.

I have never put egg in mine, nor did my mom. Once I tried it using an egg and we didn't like the taste as well. They still hold together fine w/o the egg.

I buy Pillar Rock pink salmon and usually get it on sale so it's a tasty and cheap meal. We like macaroni and cheese (preferably homemade) and spinach served with them. Yum, I think I'll have to make some soon....they are sooooo good!

Top Comment

I love these things too. I always made them with pink salmon, onions, cracker crumbs, eggs, Tabasco and Worchestershire sauce. Years ago I used to buy jack mackeral for my cat; never considered eating it myself. An old neighbor said he loved it in fried patties just like salmon. I tried it and it was very good... a bit stronger than salmon but I liked it.

Years later I tried making my patties using instant potato flakes instead of cracker crumbs and I like that much better.

My mom always made Salmon Patties. we ate them cause we were poor! But as an adult I cant stand them with those little bones in there.. it makes me GAG so I make Tuna patties instead.. I use all the same ingredients but use Tuna instead.

If you use a non stick pan you can use less oil.

1 can drained tuna w/water not oil

1 egg

LOTS of onion

oatmeal (instead of crackers or bread)

Fry in hot oil till brown then turn to brown other side.

My adult kids LOVE this and so do my grandkids!

When they are here I have to make 3 cans of Tuna so there

is enough. We all like them with mustard. And it also makes a

great sandwich hot or cold.

I make Salmon Patties but instead of frying them on top of the stove, I spray a cookie sheet with Pam and then put the patties in the over at 400 degress unitl the bottom is brown, flip them over and brown the other side. They are a little dry but my family likes to put catsup on them so we can't tell the difference. Dryer than fried on the stove top but so much healther without all that oil. I saw this recipe in an article by a lady whose husband had a heart attack and she was changing the way she cooked.

This recipe is easy and good just like mama! Thanks

My Mimi makes them with green pepper. We love them like this. My little girl calls salmon patties fish stuffing.

We love salmon patties also. When I make them for the two of us, we eat half of them and I freeze the left overs to have later. Next time we want salmon patties I take them out and put them in the toaster oven frozen and set the oven at 400 degrees and bake them for about 15 minutes. They are just as good and crisp as freshly cooked.

2 Fried salmon patties with a wedge of lime and a cob of corn.
Fried Salmon Patties
Food and Recipes Recipes SeafoodJanuary 23, 2009
Smoked Salmon on Toast
Smoked Salmon Recipes
Fried ice cream.
Fried Ice Cream Recipes
Salmon Patty on a Plate
Salmon Patty Recipes
Fried Dill Pickle Chip Recipes