Question
Share>Newsletters>Account>About>

Problem Replacing Outlets in my Bathroom

I decided to replace the outlets in my bathroom to GFCI. I made sure to follow the installing instructions very carefully. However, after my installation, the outlet is not providing power. I checked the power line and it is receiving power. But when I plug in a device in the outlet it does not work.

I also noticed the "Test" button is stuck but the green LED is not on! I tried to push the reset button but it is not resetting. Any help to trouble shoot this will be very much appreciated. I spent hours working on this and I am ready to give up.

Mo

Here are the recent answer to this question.

By bRIAN (Guest Post)01/22/2008

Sounds like you have your load and line feeds mixed up. Try taking out outlet out, and switching the bottom black and white with the top black and white. I recently went through the same thing and found out i mixed up my load and line feeds.

By Susan Sanders-Kinzel [9]07/14/2005

Hi Mo
If it is not resetting, then most likely some wire or screw is touching the side of the box. If that is not the case, the wires are mixed up. They could be mixed up at a connection box prior to that outlet.

The black wire, which goes to the gold terminal screw, should measure about 110 Volt to the bare ground wire, and it should have enough real power to light up a light bulb between the black and the bare ground wire that goes to the green hexagon screw and also the bottom of the outlet box, if it is a metal box.

The white wire, which goes to the silver terminal screw, should measure no more than 1 - 2 volts on an analog meter (with a needle) and no more than 20 Volts on a digital meter. A light bulb between the white wire and the bare ground wire should not light up, not even a dim glow.

If you do not get exactly those results, then you have a problem somewhere upstream.

If you do get those results and no terminal or wire (except the bare ground) is touching the box, then the GFCI outlet is not working.

On some models the "Test" button requires a lot of force, so that it does not get pushed accidentally. Also, with some models the "Reset" button has to be pushed in quite deeply and held for a few seconds.

If all of that does not help, replace the GFCI outlet with a new one.

Have FUN!
DearWebby
http://www.webby.com/humor/

By JoAnn [2]07/12/2005

did you get a bad outlet to begin with?