Electric Smoke Detector Won't Stop Beeping

I have detached the smoke detector from the ceiling electrical contact, but the chirping continues without stopping.

By Andri from San Diego, CA

Best Answer

There are two "types" of smoke detectors. One type detects smoke and the other type "sees" fire. Either of these 2 units do not have a long life span only about 5-7 years. Just because the smoke detectors "beeps" does NOT prove the smoke detectors are in functioning order. The only way to test the smoke detectors is going outside and lighting a fire (log, newspaper etc.) away from any buildings and then slowing bring the smoke detector near the smoke and flame to hear if the smoke detector alarms. If no alarm sounds the smoke detector must be thrown away and a new one purchased, usually less than $10.00. More than 5,000 people die each year in house fires, most could be avoided if the smoke detector worked. PLEASE check all of the detectors in our house. Your life is worth more than a few bucks.

P.S. Where is your fire extinguisher? It should be placed near the exit of your house or work. NOT IN THE KITCHEN! If the fire is in the kitchen how would you reach the fire extinguisher? As you are exiting the building and the fire extinguisher is near the exit and you believe you can put the fire out then use the fire extinguisher at hand. Remember this acronym - PPS Pull the pin, Point the nozzle, Pull the handle, Sweep the base of the fire. If the fire is not contained get the heck out of the building, NOTHING in the building is worth your life.

Best Answer

Here is some detailed help for those of us who are "mechanically challenged."

First, check your carbon monoxide (CO2) detector, if you have one, to make sure it is not the one beeping. (If it is, open windows to air out the house and get some help to fix the problem.)

Second, make sure the temperature in your home is within the tolerable range for your detector. (Mine has to be above 40 degrees F, and below 100 degrees.)

Third, change the battery. (Some steps below may not apply to your smoke detector, but hopefully this list will help anyway.)

How to change the battery:

Look where the alarm is attached to the wall, and remove the little plastic "stick" that is stopping the alarm from being turned, if present. (Mine had one in a slot on the right side. It just pulled off.)

Turn alarm in the direction of the arrows on the front of smoke detector. (Mine only turned a tiny bit, clockwise, then I had to pull the alarm straight away from the wall.)

It may be connected still by wires to the wall (or to a hole in the wall actually.) Squeeze both sides of the plastic piece where the wires come out of the back of the alarm and pull straight away from the alarm to remove the plastic "plug" holding the wires.

Now, hopefully, you can open the battery door to change the battery. My battery compartment had a piece of plastic (like a stick) on a spring that popped up when battery was removed. I had to push the plastic stick down into the battery compartment, then push the new battery on top of it so the battery door would close.

If it still beeps after you change the battery, try flipping the battery over. If it still beeps, try a different, new battery, and try it flipped over if needed.

If it still beeps then you may have to buy a can of compressed air to blow the dust out, OR buy a new smoke detector, whichever is cheaper/easier.

I hope this helps others to avoid the hassle I had to figure out how to change the stupid battery. Mine is still beeping so I'll try the compressed air or buy a new smoke detector once it is daylight.

CO2 is carbon dioxide, not carbon monoxide.

Our ceiling fire alarm started bleeping every 45 seconds or so the other day so we purchased a new battery and inserted it in. Bleeping stopped, heaven. However, now the ceiling fire alarm in the hall has started bleeping, in the night, so I'm dead tired. We will of course purchase a new battery, plus one extra in case the fire alarm in the lounge goes off. Bit weird isn't it that the second one went at the same time, or perhaps logically they were fitted at the same time and he ho the battery went at the same time but I'm feeling a bit sceptical about that. Any suggestions welcome

I have the same smoke detector system which beeps constantly. I changed all the batteries and the darn thing still beeped. Finally it dawned on me to cut all the power source to test and see whether, or not the batteries were working. I discovered that two of my batteries was installed incorrectly. Now the beeping is gone.

Electric Smoke Detector
Home and Garden Repair Home MiscellaneousMarch 31, 2011
Cleaning Smoke Stains from Walls
Cleaning Smoke Off Walls
Cigarette Left Burning in Ashtray
Removing Cigarette Smoke Odor from Leather
Kenmore Refrigerator's Ice Maker Won't Stop Making Ice
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
Troubleshooting a Smoke Detector
🎉
🎄