Starting Seeds Cheaply

I am going to start this by saying, "My husband is the best." He helps me with everything and he is always encouraging me to find new things that I love and enjoy.

Now granted he has not liked listening to my gardening plans repeatedly day after day, but he has been patient. So when I showed him that some of my seed choices would have to be started indoors, he was eager to help with the lighting situation (our kitchen is sunny but never sunny enough).

So his mother had some scrap 2x5's (I think) and we had a fluorescent light (cheaper but works just as good) and he made me the best seed germinator ever. I used simple seed starting trays. And it ended up costing nothing since we already had everything. Plus he painted it green so it looks better in the kitchen.

In the seed catalogs, something like this can get really expensive.

Jesikarena from Trinity, NC

Starting Seeds Cheaply

Yay for your husband (and you)! Looks like they turned out great. The green paint is a nice touch! Have fun growing those seeds . . .

Came out really nice.

Did you make the light adjustable?

He can very easily move the horizontal bar up or down the rack. So in a ways its adjustable : )

As you can see we have expanded!

It would be really nice to have instructions for making this! Love it and the paint is so perfect! Kudos!

Your Hubby is awesome. My 'honey-do' list is starting to look like a novel.

Seed Starts by Window
Starting Seeds Indoors
Home and Garden Gardening SeedsApril 1, 2009
Trumpet Vine Seed Pods
Starting a Trumpet Vine From Seed Pods
How To Start Tomato Seeds
Starting Tomato Seeds
Rose hips on rough wood background.
Growing Roses from Seed
Sowing seeds directly.
Direct Sowing Seeds