Cheap Teeth Whitening

Clean your teeth by chewing on a raw potato. It works fast and better than those expensive whiting strips!

By Ann from Saint Peters, MO

Filter: All Articles Sort: Relevance

I am suspect that this would work but should you decide to do this please brush your teeth afterwards because potatoes are a starch and starch is sugar and sugar causes cavities.

P.S. I forgot to mention that I do absolutely love, and always have, eating raw potatoes :-) Most of my family and friends think I am a nut for liking them ;-)

How long do you have to do this for, before you see results?

I'd like to try this. I will brush my teeth after, surely. :) Thank you!

Add your voice! Click below to comment on this post or add your answer to this question. ThriftyFun is powered by your wisdom.

January 13, 2011 Flag

Anybody know of any inexpensive ways to whiten teeth?

By Toni from the OC

Answers:

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Whitening solutions will ruin your teeth! I used them in my early twenties and they rotted my molars.
I am a heavy smoker and super heavy coffee drinking (I know, bad habits :-/ )

I started wetting my toothbrush and sticking it in my Arm and Hammer box. I use my toothbrush and brush all of my teeth the same as if I had toothpaste on it. I then rinse and brush with my regular toothpaste which is Sensodyne whitening. I have been doing this for about two weeks and my teeth have never felt cleaner and they are actually lightening! I am impressed!

One thing to caution. I was using it daily but it seems to irritated the inside of my lips. I am a lip bitter and it made it stand out. So, if you bite the inside of your lips, you might want to do this every other day. I do mine 3 times a week now. (08/22/2009)

By pogrl06

Cheap Teeth Whitening

I'm pretty sure I saw this on Thrifty Fun awhile ago. The Dollar Tree sells a tooth whitening gel and it comes with a tray. It's very easy to use and is made of the same peroxide that you can buy from the dentist for $5 a tube with no tray. (08/23/2009)

By merlene

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Use Peroxide as a mouth rinse and hold it for a while. Our dentist said this was the best and safest way. (08/24/2009)

By Danialle

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Brush your teeth with baking soda and rinse with peroxide. Continue to brush your teeth with a fluoride based toothpaste at least once a day. (09/12/2009)

By EeshieKing

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Do NOT use straight baking soda regularly, it is much too abrasive. Your teeth look whiter because you're wearing away the enamel. Whitening gels will not rot your molars, cavities will. A once in a while light brushing with baking soda is a good 'deep cleaning'

Crest White strips work well. The trays and gels from the dentist though are the best bet and most predictable.

(09/18/2009)

By JENJENBOBEN

August 19, 2009 Flag

I am a college student without any money and I was wondering if anyone knew of any inexpensive ways I could whiten my teeth at home, without spending money on whitening solutions. I don't need them whitened a whole lot, just a shade or two would be great. Thanks.

Kaytee from Greenville, SC

Answers:

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Buy a cheap small box of baking soda. (Probably .50 at Dollar General or WalMart) Moisten your toothbrush with water and then press the bristles into the baking soda and brush away. Rinse your mouth with plain water. Also do the hydrogen peroxide rinse mentioned earlier. It's cheap too. $.50 or $1.00 depending on the size of the bottle. Keep it tightly capped. (01/17/2007)

By Grandma Margie

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Sure. I know of one that is cheap and you can make at home, just use Baking Soda and lemon juice and make into a paste, but don't use this too frequently though as lemon is acidic and wears down the enamel on your teeth. When you just want the whitest teeth then use my recipe it works inexpensively and gives the same results, leave the paste on for about five minutes then brush with cool water then rinse. Don't brush too hard you could irritate your gums with this method a gentle cleaning is all you need, here's to your pearly whites. (01/18/2007)

By Darrel

Cheap Teeth Whitening

I use baking soda and regular fluoride paste (Colgate) I have been getting many nice remarks. (01/18/2007)

By Sharon

Cheap Teeth Whitening

I learn on my own experience that if you eating every day 2-3 apples you will see a great change. It's healthy and cheap. (01/18/2007)

By ENA

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Consumer Reports recently reviewed some of the top toothpastes that claim to whiten your teeth. Believe it or not, Ultrabrite Advanced Whitening which costs only about 99 cents for a 6 oz. tube was at the top of their list. That was enough to convince me to switch. Plus I always try to brush my teeth after my morning cup of coffee (I hear some people will even drink their coffee through a straw in an effort to keep their teeth white). (01/18/2007)

By cracklintulip

Cheap Teeth Whitening

It sounds too easy, but rinsing with Listerine mouthwash (any flavor) for 30 sec a night works. My husband started using the rinse (as a suggestion from the dentist) because he didn't like flossing. A side effect was noticeably whiter teeth. (01/18/2007)

By timmel

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Go to the website oramedia.com, they have all kinds of ideas for home remedies for the teeth. Ideas such as: a vinegar rinse to loosen tartar, baking soda and peroxide for brushing, and even using glycerin soap for toothpaste (don't go yuck, I tried it and my teeth never felt so clean.) (01/19/2007)

By Carla B.

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Take some salt and add lemon to it and brush slowly. Your teeth will shine. (01/21/2007)

By chinto

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Both "NutraBright" and "Movie Star Look" offer free samples. Just be sure to cancel your subscription after you receive the product.

(02/27/2009)

By Scott

Cheap Teeth Whitening

There really are a lot of cheap teeth whitening methods out there, including ones that use household items like baking soda and hydrogen peroxide, and those that require the purchase of inexpensive over-the-counter products like whitening strips.

You always want to be careful not to cause any enamel damage in the process. You also want to consider the level of discoloration and how white you expect your teeth to get.
It's a good idea to compare the different methods, their costs and effectiveness before deciding. You can do that here: dental-makeover.com (03/10/2009)

By peach3000

Cheap Teeth Whitening

Thanks for the very practical advice, Grandma Margie. I can also add that a $.50 lemon can be mixed with baking soda into a paste that helps with whitening. Boy, talk about cheap teeth whitening solutions. The only caveat I have read about is that you have to be aware of eroding your teeth enamel if you use this too liberally. There are also free trials of products out there. Thanks, Blane

betterteethwhitening.com (07/29/2009)

By gmrbtw

January 17, 2007 Flag
Click to read more ideas from older posts on ThriftyFun.
Girl Whitening Her Teeth
Whitening Your Teeth
Health & Beauty Beauty AdviceJanuary 14, 2011
Cheap Date Ideas, Young Couple in the Park
Cheap Date Ideas
Woman Grinding teeth and massaging jazz.
Teeth Grinding Treatment
Flipper Teeth
Buying Flipper Teeth Kits
Woman brushing her teeth.
Cleaning Your Teeth With Baking Soda
© 1997-2016 by Cumuli, Inc. All Rights Reserved. Published by . Page generated on June 20, 2016 at 8:00:59 AM on 10.0.0.63 in 1 seconds. Use of this web site constitutes acceptance of ThriftyFun's Disclaimer and Privacy Policy. If you have any problems or suggestions feel free to Contact Us.