Killing a Sweet Gum Tree

How can I kill a sweet gum tree to let it gradually die because it is too tall to cut in my yard?

Karen from Arkansas

Best AnswersAnswer this Question

These answers have been rated the best for this question.

By Beverly McConnell (Guest Post) 03/11/2007

If you can, drill a few holes in the roots or at the base of the tree. Take boiled hot water that you've added a whole box of salt to and pour into the holes. If you can't drill holes then pour hot salt boiling water around on top of the roots and around the tree. This does take alittle time to do. but by later in the season it should rot. You can also use this method on stumps that you want to get rid of. It rots them completely. Hope this helps you.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

By Badtux (Guest Post) 04/20/2007

A tree removal service can remove even the tallest sweet gum trees by climbing the tree and lopping it off from the top down. The problem with killing the tree as it stands is that then the tree will fall when the next big wind blows -- probably onto your house, car, or propane tank, luck being what it is.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No

Recent AnswersAnswer this Question

By cillabill (Guest Post) 03/08/2007

I don't know, but I've heard that cutting through the bark all the way around will kill a tree.

ReplyWas this helpful? Yes No