Permanent Marker on Metal

My niece wrote in permanent black marker in the metal facing of the heater. How can I get rid of it?

By Jeana from Long Island, NY

In an inconspicuous spot on the metal, swab a bit of rubbing alchohol. If, once it dries, it doesn't affect the finish, then you can easily clean the black marks off with alchohol. If there is some sort of coating on the metal, and the alchohol affects it, you may need to try other means. But chances are the alchohol will be fine!

Rubbing Alcohol... That works 99% of the time & if that doesn't work use Fingernail Polish Remover (the kind NOT made for artificial nails).

* Make sure the heater is off & the fumes are gone before you turn it back on because the cleaners I suggested are obviously flammable!

May 17, 2010 Flag

Does anyone know a way to remove black permanent marker from metal?

Permanent Marker on Metal

This is easy. Use OOPS or GOO GONE, available at Home Depot or Wal-mart type stores. (09/16/2005)

Permanent Marker on Metal

Have you tried nail polish remover? (09/17/2005)

Permanent Marker on Metal

Tried "Erase" by Zep. Say "no more". (10/14/2005)

By ladybug

Permanent Marker on Metal

I used FADE-A-DYNE II, it was the only thing I could find in our office. It removes iodine-based marks. I had to use a little elbow grease, but it came off very well.

Thanks. (06/21/2006)

By Marge

Home and Garden Cleaning MetalMay 17, 2010
Cleaning Rust off of Metal
Removing Rust from Metal
A colorful wooden dresser.
Removing Permanent Marker from Wood Furniture
A Sharpie marker with its lid off.
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Plastic
Permanent Ink
Removing Permanent Ink (Sharpie) from Metal