Removing Weeds Between Pavers

Category Weeds
If weeds are growing between your pavers, they are not only unattractive but can be difficult to eradicate. This is a guide about removing weeds between pavers.

For those that have cobblestone or brick pathways! Nasty spore growing weeds will bust through cement. Living in the lower Keys of South FL, I've dealt with some very destructive weather. As of now ,I have been pounding sand in between my rebuilt brick pathway. Those nasty weeds that spread my bricks and sea shell garden get a good dose of CHEAP SALT! After a couple days, they pull out easy! Saves on the finger knuckles and expensive weed killer. Also, I heard that cheap WHITE VINEGAR can help rid those weeds. Do not apply any salt next to your living gardening area.

By Cindy from Key West, FL

i use white vinegar, works better than expensive weed killer

Apart from using a sharp knife, does anyone have any tips for removing weeds growing between paving slabs without resorting to harsh, environmentally-unfriendly chemicals?

By Pie 59 from Cambridge, UK

Answer Was this helpful? 1
Best Answer

I've been told that you can spray vodka on those weeds and they will die.

Best Answer

My favorite is a gardener's flame weeder. It's a long wand attached to a propane tank, and you flame the weeds until their juices boil and they look bright green. Kills anything small, and like once a month you would re-treat anything with a bigger root. I like it because it's just so satisfying. No need to burn them to ash.

Best Answer

Buy a gallon of vinegar, remove one cup and add 1 cup of salt, shake to mix then add the cup of vinegar back to the jug. Spray on the cracks in the pavers. Be careful because it will kill anything it touches.

Best Answer

Boil water in the kettle and pour it over the weeds. Works every time!

Best Answer

Pour salt on the weeds. I usually get cheap salt for projects like this.

Lorelei you should know that the vinegar will also kill tree roots so be careful how much you apply. You only need 2 tablespoons to gallon of water and 1 tablespoon of cooking oil works too. Sparingly near roots of things you want.

Boiling water really works great. Cost is minimal.

BORAX sold in the cleaning products section of your local stores is great for killing the weeds. Do not use 'close' to any flowers/trees. BORAX also keeps ants away. The instructions for weeds: "...sprinkling borax into all the crevices where you've seen weeds grow. When applied around foundation of your home, it will also keep ants away..." Also, Borax good for many other things around the house.

REF: Reader's Digest: Extraordinary Uses for ordinary things --ISBN 0-7621-0705-7

Anonymous

Vinegar is excellent and a healthy alternative to harsh chemicals that are bad for the environment :-) Using Vodka makes sense, too, because vinegar is a byproduct of fermentation ;-) I 'mist spray' full strength on non-windy days and am sure to use a piece of cardboard to protect any non-weed foliage that might be right next to the weeds I am spraying.

Anonymous

I'll tell my parents to try this out,& see what happens & what they'd think of it. Thank you

How do I keep weeds from growing between block paving?

By Irene

Try spraying with vinegar, but keep away from grass or any other plants, as it will kill them as well!

The best thing to do is to pull up the pavers, pull all the weeds being careful to get the roots. Next lay down thick plastic sheeting (Visqueen, a thick tarp, an old heavy duty vinyl tablecloth or shower curtain), then replace the pavers, and brush sand or dirt into the spaces between the pavers.

Weeds and moss will still try to grow in that tiny bit of sand or soil of course, but won't have deep roots because of the plastic barrier, so they will be easy to pull.

You could use cement mortar in between the pavers, but it won't completely eliminate the potential for weeds and mosses growing up between the pavers-as time goes by, soil will accumulate no matter what, and you will have to do some spot weeding especially if your mortar has cracked due to time and weather.

I live in the UK now, and have just found the most amazing tool in the plant nurseries here! It's a wire brush on a broom handle. It is very narrow at the business end, the bristles taper together to fit in between the pavers. Apparently you just stand there and scrub the weeds away. I'm not spending £15 on it, though. Instead I'm going to see if the side of a wire brush we already have works-if it does, good bye weedy pavers!

Re. wire brush, works like a dream for a few days, but wire soon just wears away, used my husband's quite expensive wire brushes next, soon wore out, I was not popular

Dear Frugal,

The problem with weeds growing within the pavers is that they don't grow underneath but they grow in between the pavers. If you can find a solution to this problem then my friend you have the problem solved!

You can get these in b&m for a fraction of the price, around 2.99 or £1 for a short handled version. They also have a sharpened metal part to help scrape out any stubborn weeds

DO YOU HAVE A PICTURE OF THE TOOL TO REMOVE THE WEEDS???

My husband and I pour boiling water between the pavers and cracks in the sidewalk and driveway. This kills the weeds (and ants) but doesn't add anything toxic to the environment. It doesn't prevent them but it does keep them at bay.