Organize Bills By Type

I am the one who handles the finances in our home (and my husband is about to learn). One day, my husband called me and asked, "Where is the last cable bill and who is it with?"

It was then and there that I realized I needed to reorganize the tabs on the hanging file folders I use after paying bills. Instead of the tab reading "ATandT" for our cell phone, I changed it to "CELL PHONE"; instead of "City of Watauga" for the water bill, I changed it to "WATER"; instead of "DISH NETWORK", I changed it to "CABLE"; and so on. This has helped him greatly when looking for something and I'm not at home. I hope it helps you as well!

By Donna

I do this for myself. I have bills from three different countries to deal with. I divide each folder into three parts and then file. So much easier and as I do not always retain the names in foreign languages I can sneak my way through the paperwork and deduce what is what. My husband would not go near the admin, and really I cannot blame him. It is not easy, but if not done then the fallout is so much more work.

Cheers and thanks for mentioning this.

You've got a great idea, always abide by the "K. I. S. S." rule, lol! Although my hubby could more or less pay his own bills before we got involved, he was paying some bills twice and others not at all. I'm still trying to get his cooperation in organizing unpaid bills. However, I have devised a relatively simple filing system for paid bills and important papers.

This is how I organized hard copies of bills when I worked as an office manager. That way when I changed vendors, like phone service, office supplies, printers, etc., the whole history was filed by category rather than vendor name. It made it easier not only for myself but for anyone else who had to access bills in my absence - and after I retired!

Folders labled Bills
Organizing Your Bills
Budget & Finance Paying BillsJune 16, 2011
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall, Spice rack hanging on a wall.
Mounting a Spice Rack on Your Wall
Paying Bills on Time, Bills and Calculator
Paying Bills on Time
A woman paying her bills online.
Paying Bills Online
Garlic being planted into garden soil mix.
Making Your Own Garden Soil Mix