Textured Painting

I want to paint my walls with textured paint, but I have no idea how to. I did a search here once, but didn't bookmark it and I can't find it again! I would appreciate any advice I can get here. Our walls are imperfect, I thought maybe the textured paint would help it to look better. Any advice?

Thanks so much!
Ariela from FL

I used the Ralph Lauren River Rock textured paint in the dining room of my old house. WARNING: it's a lot harder to work with than regular paint. You can't just 'spot fix' because the texture will show the fixes. You should absolutely get the right rollers, etc that the paint recommends and be real careful during the 'cutting in' process to not get any streaks with the brush since it's hard to fix.

The results are great, but it is time consuming and it took about three coats for us to finally get it right.

With imperfect walls, you could also try some faux techniques (like ragging or sponging). It, too, does a lot to disguise some of the wall's 'warts' and in my opinion takes less time.

Best of Luck to you.

Have you tried Home Depot? They teach you how to do faux painting so I am sure they have lots of instructions on their website or in their store about it.

Thanks, Tina and Christi. We will surely try Home Depot for help on this.We are living in a Modular home that was previously wall papered, it seems it was mudded over then painted.. alot of the

imperfections show. It has flat paint but was very easy to wash.

I just thought the textured paint would help. The ceilings are that

crumbly stuff that falls when you look at it crosseyed :) I dread

painting that but it has to be done. Thanks again, I spend so

much time crusing this site, its great!!!

We have textured walls, not my choosing. It was like that when we bought the house. We had to fix one wall when the roof leaked and used sand in with the paint to get the texture look. It matches perfectly.